ALGA Name Change Update

Australian Lesbian and Gay Archives

Nov 25, 2019, 4:48:13 PM11/25/19
to Announcements List

Dear ALGA members and supporters

At our recent AGM we outlined the results of the name change consultation that we have been conducting over the past 12 months.

We have been incredibly happy with the engagement in this process. The feedback has been positive and with over 500 people being involved in the surveys and discussions we are now confident that we can move to the next stage and work towards developing a new name for the organisation. An overview of the consultations is provided below.

The ALGA committee will now start planning this part of the process. We will keep everyone up-to-date and informed about the next stage of engagement. Thanks again for your ongoing support of our organisation.

Kind regards

Angela Bailey, ALGA President

Overview of Name Change Consultation (presented at the 2019 AGM)

At the 2018 AGM we outlined our commitment to initiating a name change consultation for the organisation. We are incredibly happy with all the responses to our various levels of engagement - including:

• Information available at Midsumma Carnival 2019
• Media releases
• Social Media
• Interviews with key ALGA supports/members
• On-line survey (Open April-Sept, 465 surveys completed)
• Facilitated group sessions
• Follow up phone calls/emails with those requesting contact

We were overwhelmed by the level of interest, passion and support for the Archives and through these responses and conversation are confident we can move this process forward.

Initially Committee members discussed the consultation with key stakeholders and members to talk through the process of consultation and hear feedback. We then created an on-line survey and over a period of 5 months, collected approx. 450 completed surveys. The survey asked 8 questions with the
initial response to the first question – Do you think the Archives should change its name? was 66.44% in favour and 33.56% disagreed.

The other questions were more open-ended in nature and asked:
• What do you like/dislike about the name? (441 responses)
• What would you like to retain in the current name? (430 responses)
• What do you imagine a new name could be? (420 responses)

Across all the 6 age brackets (18-24;25-34;35-44;45-54;55-64 and 64+) the vote to change the name was in the majority.

The remaining questions were: How do you identify your gender/sexuality?; Age Group?; Would you like to be involved in a focus group to further discuss?

We then contacted everyone who had expressed interest in being part of group ‘Discussion Forums’. We also advertised these sessions to our members and announcements list. Two ‘Discussion Forums’ were then held and facilitated by Kate Richardson. The sessions were an opportunity to discuss with others
and consider what the priorities were for change and a new name. Conversations were respectful and responses were recorded. Overall the discussion forum responses and feedback mirrored the on-line surveys.

We had hoped to be able to present a new name for approval at the AGM but realised this takes more time than we anticipated – what we can present is the results and overview of this consultation and with the full support of the ALGA Committee move forward in support of a name change. In the coming 6-months we will now embark on developing a name for the Archives that considers our legacy, community and future. Through more consultation we will then take a name to a special meeting of members in 2020.

--
Australian Lesbian & Gay Archives Inc

e: ma...@alga.org.au
w: alga.org.au