Students wishing to improve/add more unit testing, code coverage, and/or submit bug/issue reports/PRs.

Rogelio Macedo

Jan 31, 2020, 3:21:47 PM1/31/20
to alfio
To whom it may concern:

I am a senior computer science undergraduate student taking a software testing and verification course at University of California, Riverside. My team of 3 is selecting alf.io as the open source project we wish to contribute to. We are therefore reaching out to the contributors of alf.io, in order to establish some means of communication. Our main goal is to submit at least one of these over the next 6-7 weeks: bug reports, additions/enhancements in unit testing, improvement of code coverage and analysis. As of now, we have cloned the repository's latest commit
git clone --depth 1

and have verified that we are able to run the unit tests using:

./gradlew test

We are in the process of forking and studying the contribution guidelines. Once again, the purpose of this post is to initiate a conversation with the developers, as it would be very beneficial in producing viable contributions. I am not sure if this is the best means of communication, and am willing to relay the message elsewhere if needed. Please get back to me at your convenience.

Thank you for your time,

Rogelio Macedo
Computer Science B.S. (March 2020)
University of California, Riverside

Celestino Bellone

Feb 1, 2020, 9:32:05 AM2/1/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rogelio,

Thank you for choosing alf.io!

We are in the process of forking and studying the contribution guidelines.

please note that the contribution guidelines on our website (https://alf.io/docs/contribution-guidelines/) refer to how to contribute to the website itself. We don't have specific contribution guidelines for the source code yet, other than the README file.

We plan to write a CONTRIBUTING.md in the future, but since we use tools, processes and frameworks that are widely adopted in the java community, this is not a high-prio task for us.
Should you have any questions, please ask.

Once again, the purpose of this post is to initiate a conversation with the developers, as it would be very beneficial in producing viable contributions. I am not sure if this is the best means of communication, and am willing to relay the message elsewhere if needed. Please get back to me at your convenience.

Speaking on behalf of the team: the developers are listening. Welcome to our community! :-)
Jokes aside, let's use this channel, for now.
We can organize some meetings (hangouts, skype, ...) if we need to.
Please consider that the core team is based in Europe, under the CET Timezone.

I have a question regarding your assignment: do you accept suggestions? Like some code path that we know already is missing more tests?

Thanks again for choosing our project and I look forward to your contributions

Cheers,
Celestino

rogelio.mac...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2020, 2:31:50 PM2/3/20
to alfio
Hello Celestino,

Thank you for a fast response! As far as the contribution guidelines not being specified on the source code, we understand. We will try our best to follow any obvious guidelines we can note and ask questions if needed.

I have a question regarding your assignment: do you accept suggestions? Like some code path that we know already is missing more tests?

We will gladly accept suggestions! That would be perfect for the goal of this assignment, which is to actually contribute something useful! Please send any suggestion you deem reasonable. Our team will spend the week getting familiar with the source code. We think it would be a great idea communication-wise to have a virtual meeting (via hangouts, skype, ...) in order to speed up the understanding of the suggestion. Please let us know if this would be possible with you at any point next week. In any case, we will do our best to reason with the given information.

Thank you for your time,
Rogelio Macedo

Celestino Bellone

Feb 5, 2020, 1:33:55 PM2/5/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
sure thing!

Would next Monday, Feb 10th at 11:00 AM PST work for you?

If yes, I'll send you a calendar invitation with a link to an online call.

Thanks
Celestino

rogelio.mac...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2020, 1:39:31 PM2/5/20
to alfio
Would next Monday, Feb 10th at 11:00 AM PST work for you?

Yes that works for us! We will keep an eye out for the invitation. Thank you for your time!
Rogelio