online additions + API + extensions = awesomeness

Neale Pickett

Aug 17, 2021, 12:13:46 PM8/17/21
to alfio
This isn't a question email, this is a brag email. I thought I'd drop a note to show how we've been able to use the alfio API to create a "participant portal" for our event.

Screenshot 2021-08-17 09.54.41 - Edited.png

This pure JavaScript application fetches a ticket object from /api/v2/public/${event}/ticket/${ticket} and an event schedule from a static YAML file. It updates the "Happening Now" card every minute, to reflect where a participant needs to go, along with links to the rooms or whatever. Just last night I finally read up on alf.io extensions, so now the "Join Event" button in the ticket email directs to the portal, sending the event short name and ticket uuid in the request.

We're using the ticket uuid internally as a participant identifier for our home-built training software, and to track surveys. The link URLs in the static file are templates that get filled in, so we can send folks off to partially pre-filled forms.

This portal runs entirely client-side. The only server change was to add a proxy configuration to our nginx server to skirt around the lack of a CORS header in the one API call we use.

I'm very excited that this is all coming together so nicely. I know a lot of commercial offerings, and even odoo, want to provide the entire schedule and speakers and everything in-app, but this solution actually works much better for us.

Thank you for creating such a great system!

Sylvain Jermini

Aug 17, 2021, 3:27:59 PM8/17/21
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you, you made our day with your message: we are happy that you used the full power of alf.io as we intended :).
And with the new version(s), it will be even better for integrating in other systems!

Thank you again,
Sylvain Jermini.