Play Reading of 'Star in the Sky' + Discussion | October 30th 2021 | 4 PM to 6 PM

ALF Communications Coordinator

Oct 27, 2021, 9:22:23 AM10/27/21
to alfex...@googlegroups.com

Alternative Law Forum invites you to

Alternative Law Forum invites you to a play reading this Saturday from 4 PM to 6 PM. Sri Vamsi Matta is a theatre artist based out of Bengaluru and has been part of the Bengaluru theatre fraternity for the past 10 years. The session will begin with Vamsi reading his play, Star in the Sky, followed by a discussion with participants.

October 2021
30
About the Play:

Star in the Sky by Sri Vamsi Matta

Star in the Sky is an adaptation of the Telugu story ‘Aakasam lo Oka Nakshatram’ by Dr M. Suguna Rao. The story is based on the life and death of Rohith Vemula and attempts to retell a story of pain, identity, discrimination, assertion, death, grief, and memory. The play is an attempt to transcreate the story for a larger audience by bringing to performance the myth, meta-narratives, memories, resistance, and all that constitutes the lives and experiences of Dalits while delicately building the portrait of an unjust society that persecuted them with a touch of magic realism.

Through the eyes of Matthew, a History final year PhD student from HCU, we witness the life and death of the magnetic Thohiro, a young student of Astrophysics with a desire to learn about the universe & transcending identities. Three musicians, Yesu, Bhanu, and Seenu, accompany their journey, weaving their story with wry humour, and satire, to highlight broader themes of contemporary Dalit identity. The play blends myth, memory and politics in a musical that is breaking (or making) the stories of the identities it wishes to portray. The narrative is an implied commentary that moves back and forth, digresses and irrupts into the audiences for an informed awakening on understanding the experiences of caste and discrimination. Star in the Sky takes you into a world that makes you feel and touch the untouched.
Join us at Alternative Law Forum (122/4, Infantry Road, Bangalore - 560001; near Shivajinagar Bus Station).

For any queries call 080-22865757 or write to con...@altlawforum.org
FACEBOOK FACEBOOK
TWITTER TWITTER
INSTAGRAM INSTAGRAM

Aishwarya Ravikumar

Oct 30, 2021, 1:42:16 AM10/30/21
to communi...@altlawforum.org, alfex...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Due to circumstances following the sad demise of actor Puneeth Rajkumar, this event has been postponed. We shall email you the updated details as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Warm regards
Aishwarya

"We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."