Accessory muscles of respiration

sraj

Mar 10, 2024, 11:44:37 AMMar 10
to AlexTech Mail List

Dear Friends,

I never do breathing exercises; for the simple reason that I am too scared to do them. I was surprised then to find myself taking in lung full of air, well beyond my normal inhalation, last night; I might have persisted for as long as half an hour! Can I consciously repeat the performance now? I can’t :-(

If we explore the problem of Breathing in U Tube, we will come to the conclusion that very few people know how to breathe properly; It may not also be safe for many adults to try to optimize their breathing :-(   Proper breathing may also be linked to good USE (Posture), further complicating the matter.

This U Tube video by Sam Webster may help us understand how complex the human musculoskeletal system really is.

Accessory Muscles of Respiration:

Scalene muscles, there are three of them   7:29/11:41

Sternocleidomastoid muscle 8:47/11:41

Don’t  forget the muscles of the abdominal wall 10:00/11:41

Every thing in the thorax gets so tired when you are running a very very long distance, which I know quite a bit about as I have done it. So these muscles all get tied; extra muscles all get tied to help with breathing; they also get recruited when people have difficulty with breathing. The counter point to that, if you get the pathology of these muscles, they might restrict movement of the rib cage, making breathing more difficult, that is another idea ……… 10:40/11:41

(For us humans to improve our USE we need to start with the basic assumption that we must not constrain the body in any way. This is especially important for small children. We have a long way to go :-(

 Regards,

Selvaraj