Maybe James Cameron took the idea for The Terminator from similar stories?

1 view

Chris Tsao

Jan 18, 2011, 5:25:46 AM1/18/11
to AlexBennettProgram
The Outer Limits Season 1, Disc 1 episode: The Man Who Was Never
Born (for rent on Netflix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upixi7mM9hE

Can be viewed in the above link on YouTube.

I typed up some of the dialogue and stage direction.

Earth in the year 2148.

at 7:23

Martin Landau (to an astronaut who accidentally traveled to the
future): We are the remaining survivors of the human race.

Astronaut: If you're human, you're a--mutation.

at 7:57, later in the conversation.

Martin Landau (as a mutant): An extraterrestrial microbe was developed
and corrupted by a renowned biologist for his own ambitious reasons. I
recall his name ... Bertram Cabot Jr. We have memorized every detail
of his life. His various addresses. His cares, his joys. His friends,
his family. Noelle they called his mother. Noelle. The woman who
issued destruction for all future Christmases.

at 8:43 (later in the conversation)

Martin Landau: There were side effects to the symbiote which kept it
isolated and developed. Side effects he did not foresee. Which brought
about genetic changes and inhibited our ability to reproduce. What you
see here is essentially the work of one man! Bertram Cabot Jr.!

at 27:03

(Present time [which was 1963 when the episode aired]. Martin Landau
traveled back through time.)

Noelle: Bert's father's name is Arnold.

Martin Landau (as a human): (distressed and confused) <unintelligible>
no that can't be.

Noelle: But it is.

Martin Landau: (all distressed) I'm too early! ... I'm too early!

Noelle: Is something wrong?

Martin Landau: He isn't born yet!

Noelle: Who isn't born yet!

Martin Landau: Bertram Cabot Jr..

Noelle: Of course he isn't born yet. Bert and I won't be married until
this weekend.

Martin Landau: You will be his mother! You will be the mother of
Bertram Cabot Jr.!

at 29:01

EXT. BOARDING HOUSE - FRONT PORCH - DAY

Martin Landau: You are Bertram Cabot.

Bertram Cabot: Yes.

Martin Landau: Are you waiting for Noelle?

at 29:49 (later in the conversation)

Martin Landau: May I ask you a question.

Bertram Cabot: Of Course.

Martin Landau: To save your own child from destruction. Would you
press a button destroying all the children of another land.

Bertram Cabot: Are you asking me as a future father, or as a
prospective scientist with a duty towards humanity.

Martin Landau: I wasn't aware that there was any distinction. But you
do have a very practical objective mind--like father like son.

Bertram Cabot: Did you know my father?

Martin Landau: No I didn't know your father.

Martin Landau: You are going to marry a very lovely and wonderful
girl.

Bertram Cabot: I think so.

Martin Landau: Do you love her?

Bertram Cabot: Who are you?

Martin Landau: What does it matter? Will you answer my question?

Bertram Cabot: Do I love Noelle?

Martin Landau: Do you?

Bertram Cabot: Yes I do.

Martin Landau: Then you must not marry her!

Bertram Cabot: Not marry her!

Martin Landau: It will destroy her!

Bertram Cabot: Look! Maybe it doesn't matter who you are, but my
personal life is none of your business!

Martin Landau: To save all of the future children of the world, I must
somehow prevent one child from being born!

Bertram Cabot: (aggravated) What are you talking about?!

Martin Landau: (desperately and pleadingly) You must not marry her!
Everything depends on it! You must believe that!

Bertram Cabot: (belligerently) How long have you known Noelle?

Martin Landau: Not long but--long enough to not want her harmed.

Bertram Cabot: Your that Professor Andro she mentioned.

Martin Landau: Yes.

Bertram Cabot: Well stay away from her!

Martin Landau: (with great passion and sincerity) I want to help her!
To help you! To help everyone! You must believe that!

Bertram Cabot: Help me, come on who do you think you're kidding?!

Bertram starts walking away.

Martin Landau: If you try to marry her, I'll have no choice!

Noelle appears on the porch. Becoming concerned, she looks to Bertram
as he starts to speak, then to Martin Landau.

Bertram Cabot: Listen, you just stay away from her or I won't have any
choice!

Bertram takes Noelle by the arm and leads her away.

Bertram Cabot: (to Noelle) Come on!

at 34:44

In the woods, Martin Landau kisses Noelle.

Martin Landau: Noelle ... I don't know how to tell you to make you
understand! Noelle you must love me!

Noelle: Please don't say any more.

Noelle stands up and starts to leave, but Martin Landau grabs her.

Noelle: (loudly) I have to go!

Martin Landau: Wait Noelle listen to me, I can't let you marry him!

Bertram Cabot just happens by. He has heard their voices and is
walking towards them.

Noelle: (yelling) I have to go! Please let me go!

Martin Landau: (talking over Noelle) No listen to me please--together
we can save eternity!

Noelle runs away as Bertram is observing.

Martin Landau: (calling after her) Noelle!

Martin Landau is reaching out to her after she has turned around and
started running.

Bertram Cabot walking angrily towards them. Noelle runs into him. She
touches him. He grabs her arm.

Bertram Cabot: Go to the house Noelle! I'll catch up with you!

Noelle: Please.

Bertram Cabot: Go on! Do as I tell you!

Bertram heads over to Martin Landau.

Bertram Cabot: (matter-of-factly) We are going to be married!

Martin Landau: Not if I can help it.

Bertram Cabot: You can't help it or stop it!

Martin Landau: I have to stop it. I will try anything to stop it. I
must no longer concern myself with your innocence! I can think of only
one thing now! The children of all the world.

Bertram Cabot: You're out of your mind, you don't even make sense!

With both hands, Martin Landau grabs Bertram by his shirt. Martin
Landau is seething.

Martin Landau: (screaming insanely) I DON'T WANT TO KILL YOU! BUT I
WILL! YOU AND HER I MUST! I MUST!

Martin Landau shoves Bertram to the ground.

Martin Landau appears to feel dizzy. He holds his face in his hand as
though he realized something got into him. Bertram gets up and leaves.

Chris Tsao

Jan 18, 2011, 9:21:30 PM1/18/11
to AlexBennettProgram
Some people in rec.arts.movies.past-films told me that it was two
other episodes of The Outer Limits that they think James Cameron got
the idea for The Terminator from and that the author of the two
episodes sued him and won money and got his name put on the credits
for the DVDs and sometimes that they don't put it on, so he complains
and so then they put it back on. I watched one of the episodes
(Soldier) on YouTube just now, it was not like the Terminator. THe
other episdoed is Demon with a Glass Hand. I will watch it and repord
back if it is similar.