Women's Equality Day Ride on Saturday, August 27 at 9:00 a.m.

liu.jo...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2022, 12:59:19 PM8/14/22
to Alexandria BPAC Open Forum All Citizens
Celebrate Women's Equality Day by visiting sites associated with the fight for women's rights in Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax

This event -- which is organized by the BPAC, Alexandria Celebrates Women, and the Alexandria Spokeswomen -- will have three parts. You are welcome to join for one part, two parts, or all three!

For the first part of the event, we'll meet at the Braddock Road metro station, then hop on our bikes and ride to various stops in Alexandria and Arlington associated with women's equality. The route is about 6.2 miles, with a mix of trails, neighborhood streets, and bike lanes: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40065866. This part of the ride is suitable for riders of all ages and abilities. We'll end at the Pentagon City metro station, where riders will have the choice of taking the metro back to Braddock Road or continuing with part two of the ride.

For the second part of the event, we'll take the metro to the Franconia-Springfield metro station, then hop on our bikes and ride to the Lucy Burns Museum at the Workhouse Arts Center in Occoquan. The round-trip route is about 23 miles, with a mix of bike lanes and roads: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40065961. People joining for this part of the ride should be comfortable with hillier terrain and busier roads. Admission to the Lucy Burns Museum is free for the gallery space and $5 for a guided cellblock tour.

For the third part of the event, we'll walk or ride between the Lucy Burns Museum and the Turning Point Suffragist Memorial. Admission to the memorial is free. If enough people are interested, we may try to schedule a docent-led tour of the memorial.

Anybody who is not biking is welcome to meet the group at the Lucy Burns Museum and then walk or drive to the Turning Point Suffragist Memorial, which is about 1.3 miles away.

After visiting the Turning Point Suffragist Memorial and stopping for a late lunch at the Brickmaker's Cafe, we'll bike back to the Franconia-Springfield metro station.

See additional details and registration at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/womens-equality-day-bike-ride-tickets-379273446087