Referencing ABC in Maya does not prefix the namespace

Oliver Markowski

Jan 28, 2013, 1:37:45 PM1/28/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi gang,

i export an alembic and then reference it back into a maya scene using namespaces. The reference editor displays the correct namespace, but the objects name does not get the prefix like NAMESPACE:pSphere1. It is just plain pSphere1

Am i missing something, or is this actually a bug?

regards
Oliver

Oliver Markowski

Feb 7, 2013, 2:49:15 AM2/7/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

since nobody responded yet, i suppose that i did something wrong....is referencing ABC files working at all your places? BTW i am on maya 2012 with a self-compiled alembic 1.1.2

any response is greatly appreciated!
Oliver

Stefan Andersson

Feb 7, 2013, 6:43:09 AM2/7/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Not having Maya in front of me, so I cant test it right now. But did you do these steps

1.) Export myObject.abc
2.) New scene, import myObject.abc
3.) export selected -> myABC.ma
4.) new scene, import reference <- myABC.ma

just as a test

regards
stefan andersson

Stefan Andersson | Digital Janitor
blog | showreel | twitter | LinkedIn | cell: +46-73-6268850 | skype:sanders3d

Oliver Markowski

Feb 7, 2013, 6:53:10 AM2/7/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

thx for your reply, but these are exactly the steps we are trying to avoid, since abc is directly referenceable now. The only thing that doesn't work is the prefixing of the namespace....

anyone else?

cheers
Oliver

Kevin Sallée

Feb 8, 2013, 2:17:04 AM2/8/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi oliver,

I wanted to try this direct referencing to see what you were talking about, but if I export a .abc file, open a new file, and try to directly create a ref with the .abc file, I get this error message: unrecognized filetype.
it's maya 2012 and alembic 1.1.0 ...
so I don't know how you manage to directly reference alembic, I don't see any options in AbcImport mode option to reference something also...

cheers

Oliver

Kevin SALLEE,
kevin....@gmail.com

Tom Price

Feb 8, 2013, 5:44:49 AM2/8/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com, Dan Grigsby
We ve been having a very interesting bug here, regarding referencing and Alembic. The lighters have brought in a maya reference containing the Alembic cache into their render scene. The strange thing is the cached animated character is different in the scene to if it was brought in in a new scene.

The scene had previously had a different cache in the scene and this is the version that is played back on update. I ve checked and triple checked the paths and they are the same file and same reference.

It seems that if the cache is brought into the scene where the cache was different it plays the old version. But when the scene is new it plays the updated version.
At first I thought this might be the result of some playback caching on Mayas behalf, but even rendering on a totally different machine it keeps this result.
Can this occur if Alembic files are overwritten? I ve seen some stuff suggesting HDF5 is not safe to be overwritten.

Also on a side note are there any compiled .mll of the Alembic update for maya 2013x64?  I don t have access to a compiler.
BAFTA Independent Production Company of the Year - 2012 Children's BAFTAs
twitter.com/blue_zoo | facebook.com/bluezooanimation | vimeo.com/bluezoo

blue-zoo, Chesterfield House, 385 Euston Road, London NW1 3AU
t. 020 7434 4111

Oliver Markowski

Feb 8, 2013, 8:03:44 AM2/8/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
@Kevin
i think this feature got introduced in Alembic1.1.2

@Tom
I am on Centos only, so i cannot build the mll for windows....sorry

Lucas Miller

Feb 8, 2013, 12:32:22 PM2/8/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
In the next Alembic update, haveNamespaceSupport is being overridden to true for the FileTranslator.

http://code.google.com/r/millerlucas-dev/source/browse/maya/AbcImport/AlembicImportFileTranslator.h#63

Does this help?

Lucas

Deke Kincaid

Feb 8, 2013, 1:13:14 PM2/8/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
I thought direct alembic referencing wasn't introduced till Maya 2013.5?  I remember videos on this back in the fall.

-deke

Oliver Markowski

Feb 8, 2013, 3:35:51 PM2/8/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Thx Lucas! Worked like a charm! But i'll still need to test this a bit further....
Just out of curiosity...why wasn't that enabled by default? Are ILM and SONY not using namespaces? This would mean i have to re-think our whole pipeline ;)

thx again!
Oli

@deke: Maybe 2013.5 comes shipped with a later alembic version already, but building alembic for maya 2012 is super-straight-forward so you don't need to use newer maya builds until you absolutely need to ;)

Barnaby Robson

Feb 8, 2013, 4:14:57 PM2/8/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes we use namespaces.  That functionality was accidentally left out when we integrated our internal repository to google code so it should have been there from the first release of the file translator support.

It's taken us a really long time to get 1.1.3 out of the door to you guys but it should be landing soon.

I believe Autodesk is also picking up that change to put in their next Maya release.

barnaby.

Oliver Markowski

Feb 8, 2013, 4:22:35 PM2/8/13
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Barnaby,

now i am kind of relieved ;) And i also think that Autodesk is on the right track with alembic this time....it's been long ago that they put some really useful features into there software....

have a nice weekend everybody!
cheers
Oliver