Subsamples showing but not created on the original abc file

Eric Gervais-Despres

Sep 2, 2021, 10:42:42 AM9/2/21
to alembic-discussion
Greetings,
I received from a client an alembic with a sample on 0.25 frames.

However, in Maya (and Houdini), when I load it, I can see it move even on 0.1 frames.
I should be happy about this, but I am wondering why? Is there an option somewhere I'm missing? First I thought it could be a new feature due to a velocity attribute and it would extrapolate the movement using the velocity values, but this alembic doesn't have any velocity, so I'm still confused.

And when I do a abcsticther of this abc with another one, it goes back to a real 0.25 subsamples, and it doesn't move between 0.0 and 0.25...

Can someone explain to me why it would move on subsamples smaller than the one created on the file?

Thank you...

Lucas

Sep 2, 2021, 5:52:20 PM9/2/21
to alembic-discussion

Depending on what plugin you are using in Maya, it might be linearly interpolating between the data that it has. (AbcImport does this)

I'm not sure why after stitching with a different one that it would STOP doing this in Maya.

If you can send me a simple example, I might be able to fill in some of the gaps.

Lucas

Lucas Miller

Sep 11, 2021, 3:19:01 PM9/11/21
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Because you are introducing a first frame with 0 points you can't
linearly interpolate between that frame and the frame that has the
normal number of points (7120).

If you look later in the timeline, say between 113 and 114 you will
see the linear interpolation.

Does this make sense?

Lucas

Lucas Miller

Sep 11, 2021, 3:20:34 PM9/11/21
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
I should also add that you wouldn't be able to linearly interpolate
for other situations as well, like when the topology is changing per
frame (different point counts) because of fracturing geometry.

Lucas