HDF5 - future plans ?

Nicholas Yue

Jan 19, 2022, 1:22:50 PM1/19/22
to alembic-discussion
Hi,

  Will HDF5 variant of Alembic continue to be supported or is there some sunset date and transition to Ogawa only ?

Cheers

Lucas Miller

Jan 19, 2022, 1:28:11 PM1/19/22
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
Good question!

I would love to drop it in a future version, currently it's an
optional dependency.

Who is still using it?

Lucas

Deke Kincaid

Jan 19, 2022, 7:01:55 PM1/19/22
to alembic-d...@googlegroups.com
You know karma has it where as soon as you remove it someone will ask you to restore a 10-year-old Alembic file using hdf5 and will complain that Maya can't read it.  That's why we still compile support for it though we don't use it 95% of the time.

ane...@isotropix.com

Jan 21, 2022, 7:41:28 AM1/21/22
to alembic-discussion
We're still using it at Isotropix for Clarisse, to be able to import legacy HDF5 files and to ship abcconvert so that users can convert their files to Ogawa. However, on export, we use exclusively the Ogawa format.
We could drop HDF5 support completely, but then the users are on their own to get abcconvert binary with HDF5 support, or use another conversion tool.

Sybren A. Stüvel

Jan 24, 2022, 5:04:59 AM1/24/22
On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 at 19:28, Lucas Miller <miller...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good question!

I would love to drop it in a future version, currently it's an
optional dependency.

Who is still using it?

Blender used to have a disabled-by-default build-time option to enable HDF5 support. It was removed entirely on Jun 15 2020.

Sybren