AsktheEU.org Survey: Concern about Poor Quality Responses to Requests

Alejandra Finotto

May 8, 2020, 10:21:02 AM5/8/20
to Alaveteli Community

Dear Alavateli Community,

The Access Info’s AsktheEU.org Team wanted to share with you the new article we have published in the AsktheEU.org Blog, which talks about the findings and results we obtained from a user survey we carried out earlier this year. Click here to read the full article online.

A survey of 95 users of the request platform AsktheEU.org, carried out by the Access Info team in February 2020, has found that three quarters (75%) report being increasingly disappointed with EU authorities’ responses, both in terms of the long delays in receiving answers and being dissatisfied with the information provided.

A second key finding is that requesters do not feel that they have sufficient legal expertise to challenge appeals against responses they are not happy with, with 70% never having made an administrative appeal (a “confirmatory application”).

The third main finding of the survey is that requesters are unhappy with having to identify themselves when it is not clear how their personal data will be used nor how it will affect treatment of the request. Some potential requesters (15%) desisted when asked by the Commission for a postal address, while others (20%) used a work address, expressing concern that when investigating corruption giving your home address can be problematic.

Please read the full article online to find out about more results and what are the next specific actions Access Info will take to improve AsktheEU.org services.

Feel free to share the Blog Post in Social Media as well!

Best,

AsktheEU.org Team

logo its your right asktheeu cropped - Copy.jpgaccess-info_logo_new_small.png

Alejandra Finotto
Research Assistant
Access Info Europe

https://www.access-info.org