User support time cost

Jen Bramley

Jun 7, 2019, 5:50:57 AM6/7/19
to alavete...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone!

Hope you're all well - Random question: how much time does it take you per week to do administration and user support on your sites?

I'm trying to give a potential new user an idea of the time cost of running an alaveteli site from an administrator point of view, and realised I don't know what most of our users spend on this!

Let me know if you know off hand!

All the best

Jen

--
Jen Bramley
Partnerships and Projects Manager

mySociety helps people around the world set up our code, sometimes for free!
Please see https://www.mysociety.org/international/ for more details.

Doug

Jun 7, 2019, 6:28:38 AM6/7/19
to Jen Bramley
Hello Jen,

That's a difficult question; it varies quite a lot.

I'm guessing for WhatDoTheyKnow, like, at least a couple of hours a
day? (across all volunteers) Longer if there's something complicated
going on. So at least half a FTE?

But then, I think WDTK is probably the biggest Alaveteli installation
in terms of number of users, requests etc.

Others from WDTK may have a different / more accurate answer

Doug

--
Doug, volunteer WhatDoTheyKnow.com

---

kush

Sep 29, 2020, 4:43:07 AM9/29/20
to Alaveteli Community
Dear Doug/WhatDoTheyKnow Admin,

Is there currently a backlog in handling user support on the WhatDoTheyKnow site?

it's just that I reported an annotation that includes my personal data last Thursday (24 September 2020). Received a response from support on same day asking for more details.

I replied immediately with more details, but haven't heard anything yet. Sent a couple of follow-ups. Still nothing.

Contacted Gemma via email, and also contacted mysociety via the generic email. Not a whisper.

Can you shed some light?

Kush

Gareth Rees

Sep 29, 2020, 11:42:26 AM9/29/20
to Alaveteli Community
Hi Kush,

This forum is for re-users of the Alaveteli software, not WhatDoTheyKnow-specific support cases.

WhatDoTheyKnow is primarily run by volunteers [1] so support is usually not as fast as some commercially run services.

Any requests for removal for information are handled as per our privacy policy [2] and in compliance with legal GDPR timelines.

If you are unhappy with how your case has been handled, please see our complaints policy [3].

Best,

Gareth

kush

Sep 29, 2020, 1:19:44 PM9/29/20
to Alaveteli Community
Hello Gareth,

I'm aware that WhatDoTheyKnow is run by volunteers.

Previously, I contacted you on 13 January 2020 to request removal of personal info left on an annotation. This was actioned on the same day.

I believe GDPR was already operational then and WhatDoTheyKnow was still run by volunteers.

Perhaps you could have tried 'Due to unprecedented times your request may take longer than usual'?

Regards,

Kush