Docker development environment setup errors

J N

Feb 27, 2023, 2:33:12 AM2/27/23
to Alaveteli Dev
https://alaveteli.org/docs/installing/docker/

What are the preconditions for setting up the Docker development environment?

I have cloned the alaveteli repository and get the following error messages when running the docker/setup script.

~/src/alaveteli$ ./docker/setup
./docker/setup: 8: ./docker/setup: source: not found

Works when running the script with bash explicitly:

$ bash ./docker/setup

Checking dependencies... Can't find /home/user1/src/alaveteli-themes directory. Please create and rerun.

Works after creating sibling directory.

$ mkdir ../alaveteli-themes

Installing Ruby gems... fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at '/alaveteli'
To add an exception for this directory, call:
        git config --global --add safe.directory /alaveteli

Switching to alavetelitheme... fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository at '/alaveteli'
To add an exception for this directory, call:
        git config --global --add safe.directory /alaveteli

Not sure what to do about the dubious ownership.
Should the setup script and docker compose be run with a certain user account with ownership of the alaveteli and sibling alaveteli-themes directories?

Is it assumed that the the repository directories are set up by some other documented instructions?

I notice there is no mention in the Docker setup docs of where to get the alaveteli project files, so maybe there are unspoken prerequisites beyond cloning the repository.

Feb 28, 2023, 5:49:54 AM2/28/23
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Did you run the git command?

Graeme Porteous

Feb 28, 2023, 6:33:13 AM2/28/23
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Running the git command would need to be done when building the docker image. I've updated the Dockefile to do this:

I've also updated the source lines so you shouldn't need to prefix the command with bash anymore:

Thanks for reporting these issues.

--
Graeme Porteous
gra...@mysociety.org