Exim4 install error

Andrei Petcu

Sep 22, 2012, 9:30:56 PM9/22/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hellow,

This question might sound silly but does the development environment have a fully configured SMTP server? After a correct exim4 configuration can I send email to my @gmail.com email address? I see the testing command refers the localhost "domain" . The dc_eximconfig_configtype is set to 'internet'.

After configuring exim4 I tried to test the email system. So I ran the command from the INSTALL-exim4.md documentation with several small modifications [1]. But the log file is empty [2]. Take note that my computer name is nuvasuparati [3] and the future domain name will be nuvasuparati.info. I added nuvasuparati.info in /etc/hosts to point to 127.0.0.1.

If I run a echo piped to the mail command [4] the log prints out [5].

Does anybody have any idea what logs should I check or what configuration might be wrong?

Cheers,
Andrei Cristian Petcu

[1]
nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~$ sudo exim -bt foi+request-1234@localhost
R: system_aliases for foi+request-1234@localhost
foi+request-1234@localhost is undeliverable: Unrouteable address

nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~$ sudo exim -bt foi+requ...@nuvasuparati.info
R: system_aliases for foi+requ...@nuvasuparati.info
foi+requ...@nuvasuparati.info is undeliverable: Unrouteable address

nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~$ sudo exim -bt foi+requ...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: system_aliases for foi+requ...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
foi+requ...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati is undeliverable: Unrouteable address

nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~/alaveteli$ sudo exim -bt nuvasuparati
R: system_aliases for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: userforward for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: procmail for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: maildrop for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: lowuid_aliases for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati (UID 1000)
R: local_user for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
  router = local_user, transport = mail_spool

nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~/alaveteli$ sudo exim -bt nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: system_aliases for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: userforward for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: procmail for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: maildrop for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
R: lowuid_aliases for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati (UID 1000)
R: local_user for nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati
  router = local_user, transport = mail_spool

nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~$ sudo exim -bt andreicri...@gmail.com
R: dnslookup for andreicri...@gmail.com
andreicri...@gmail.com
  router = dnslookup, transport = remote_smtp
  host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com      [173.194.70.27] MX=5
  host alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.71.27] MX=10
  host alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.141.26] MX=20
  host alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.64.27] MX=30
  host alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.142.27] MX=40

[2] sudo tail -f /var/log/exim4/mainlog

[3]
nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~$ hostname
nuvasuparati
nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~$ hostname -f
nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati

[4] echo "my test" | mail -s "test message" andreicri...@gmail.com

[5]  sudo tail -f /var/log/exim4/mainlog
2012-09-22 14:13:43 1TFUD1-0000XI-RI <= nuvasu...@nuvasuparati.nuvasuparati U=nuvasuparati P=local S=448
2012-09-22 14:13:43 1TFUD1-0000XI-RI == andreicri...@gmail.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host

Seb Bacon

Sep 23, 2012, 9:15:58 AM9/23/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com

Briefly: you should be able to test outgoing mail easily enough. Of course if you want a reply from Gmail to appear in your dev environment, you'll need it to be routeable from the Internet.

So far this is entirely an exim / system configuration issue. First you need to get the 'exim -bt' stuff working, i. e. routing to the mailin script; up to that point it's purely a sysadmin / exim issue. I think your problem is likely to be that exim diesnt recognise your test domain as a valid destination (not easy for me to look up the correct incantation on my phone, sorry!) And then you'll also need to ensure your dev domain is routeable from the internet

Seb

Andrei Petcu

Sep 24, 2012, 2:52:26 PM9/24/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Seb Bacon <seb....@gmail.com> wrote:

Briefly: you should be able to test outgoing mail easily enough. Of course if you want a reply from Gmail to appear in your dev environment, you'll need it to be routeable from the Internet.

As a start I want to send the signup confirmation email when I try to signup on my development environment.
After I do this, I will try to simulate a email received from a institution and put a simple text file that will get picked up by the mailin script.

I'm not expecting gmail to send a mail to my development environment. I think I need a DNS record configured for this. This will be available on the testing and production configurations, not the development.

It's clear that I have a poor understanding of exim and what it does. I tried now a few other things including adding my personal gmail account to /etc/email-addresses and to /etc/exim4/passwd.client. I just want to see a signup email with the FROM and TO email addresses pointing to my personal addresses.

I will read some more on this both in the exim documentation and on the alaveteli documentation/code. Thank you, anyway for the answer.

Seb Bacon

Sep 24, 2012, 4:17:22 PM9/24/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Ah, OK... when you're in development mode in Rails, outgoing emails
get written to the console depending on the setting in your
environment - check config/environments/development.rb (can't remember
the setting right now)

Seb
--
skype: seb.bacon
mobile: 07790 939224

Andrei Petcu

Sep 24, 2012, 4:28:53 PM9/24/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
I followed this tutorial [1] and I managed to send an external email. And now I get the following restul [2] when I run "exim -bt".

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4
[2] nuvasuparati@nuvasuparati:~$ sudo exim -bt foi+request-1234@nuvasuparati
[sudo] password for nuvasuparati:
R: smarthost for foi+request-1234@nuvasuparati
foi+request-1234@nuvasuparati
  router = smarthost, transport = remote_smtp_smarthost
  host gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com [2a00:1450:4010:c04::6c]  port=587
  host gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com [173.194.70.109]          port=587
  host gmail-smtp-msa.l.google.com [173.194.70.108]          port=587

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Seb Bacon <seb....@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah, OK... when you're in development mode in Rails, outgoing emails
get written to the console depending on the setting in your
environment - check config/environments/development.rb (can't remember
the setting right now)

Ok, I will check the logs.

Henare Degan

Sep 24, 2012, 7:13:53 PM9/24/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
On 25 September 2012 04:52, Andrei Petcu <andreicri...@gmail.com> wrote:
As a start I want to send the signup confirmation email when I try to signup on my development environment.

I use MailCatcher for testing email in development, it's a beautiful thing: http://mailcatcher.me/

Cheers,

Henare