How to get a list of failed email deliveries?

laurent...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2021, 6:59:11 AM2/10/21
to Alaveteli Dev
Hi all,

We have a pro user who's just discovered that some of their request emails were never delivered. There was no (obvious) notification neither to them nor to us admins. This was part of a fairly big batch, so they're now going through each request one by one to check delivery status, which just seems like a complete waste of time.
As an admin, I'm only seeing the requests that they've flagged manually, but is there a way to get an automated report from alaveteli about failed email deliveries? Maybe not for temporary failures, but for permanent ones?

Cheers,
Laurent for madada.fr

Gareth Rees

Feb 25, 2021, 5:20:35 AM2/25/21
to Alaveteli Dev
Sort answer, not easily.

The way we'd recommend identifying these is looking for requests with 0 replies from the request dashboard. Downloading the CSV gives you this information too.

You can look at the delivery status [1] for each message to see whether the message was accepted by the authority mailserver. I expect in this case they have been, because usually mail servers that reject a message send a bounce.

If you're seeing lots of non-deliveries with no bounce you could probably write some ruby code to figure out which messages, but honestly it's probably quicker to download the CSV from the batch and filter the rows on number of replies.

Best,

Gareth

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 10.17.18.png