Debian6 install Broken packages

Andrei Petcu

Sep 16, 2012, 8:44:33 AM9/16/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am a Romanian developer and I want to install a instance of Alaveteli on a Debian 6 amd64 inside a Virtual Box and it seems when I add the Debian package source list some packages get broken.
Here [1] are the instructions that I ran after installing a new Debian instance. And this [2] is the error I get. It seems after adding the new package source the package system gets broken and if I run a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" it pulls a lot of packages from testing.

    Do I need to add this source? Can I skip installing it?
    Has anyone recently installed an instance of Alaveteli? What operating system was used? (architecture/version)

I searched for similar topics on this group but I found none. If there is a previous discussion on this issue please point me to it :)

Regards,
Andrei Cristian Petcu

[1] The install instructions
# nuvasuparati is the user
su root
adduser nuvasuparati  sudo
#logout/login
#install git
sudo apt-get install -y git git-core
#clone the repo
git clone https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli.git
#add alaveteli repo
echo "# alaveteli" >> /tmp/alaveteli.list
echo "deb http://debian.mysociety.org squeeze main" >> /tmp/alaveteli.list
echo "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib" >> /tmp/alaveteli.list
cat /tmp/alaveteli.list
sudo cp /tmp/alaveteli.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
rm /tmp/alaveteli.list
sudo apt-get update
# install packages form alaveteli'git repo
cd alaveteli
git checkout master
sudo apt-get install `cut -d " " -f 1 config/packages | grep -v "^#"`

[2] The error I get
Note, selecting 'libruby1.8' instead of 'libopenssl-ruby1.8'
Note, selecting 'ruby' instead of 'rdoc'
Note, selecting 'ruby' instead of 'irb'
or been moved out of Incoming.
 libc6-dev : Breaks: gcc-4.4 (< 4.4.6-4) but 4.4.5-8 is to be installed
 libgcc1 : Breaks: gcc-4.4 (< 4.4.6-4) but 4.4.5-8 is to be installed
 libgfortran3 : Breaks: gcc-4.4 (< 4.4.6-4) but 4.4.5-8 is to be installed
 libgomp1 : Breaks: gcc-4.4 (< 4.4.6-4) but 4.4.5-8 is to be installed
 libstdc++6 : Breaks: gcc-4.4 (< 4.4.6-4) but 4.4.5-8 is to be installed
 python-apt : Recommends: xz-lzma but it is not going to be installed
              Breaks: python-software-properties (< 0.70.debian-1+) but 0.60.debian-3 is to be installed
              Breaks: update-notifier (< 0.99.3debian9) but 0.99.3debian8 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Louise Crow

Sep 18, 2012, 5:11:59 AM9/18/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrei

I agree it looks like the packages are being pulled from testing in preference to squeeze - what else is in your /etc/apt/sources.list file and /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory, and in what order are they listed?

If you can't resolve the ordering, I think you can skip adding the testing source and install bundler manually yourself.

Cheers

Louise

Louise Crow

Sep 18, 2012, 6:51:47 AM9/18/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Robin points out that on our local machines, we pin testing with the following lines in /etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 50

That may be useful. If so, let me know and I'll add it to the install instructions.

Cheers

Louise

Andrei Petcu

Sep 18, 2012, 4:56:21 PM9/18/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
It works :)

Thank you Louise and Robin. I pinned the packages as you said.

I also had to run [1] before [2] because I got an error that it was not installed.
Also I have version 2.11.3-3 of the libc6 package and all tests ran fine. There is a bug mentioned for version 2.11.3-2 in the install markdown file [3].

Also, can I update the installation file with the mentioned changes? :)

[1] sudo gem install xapian-full-alaveteli -v '1.2.9.5'
[2] ./script/rails-post-deploy
[3] https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/blob/develop/doc/INSTALL.md

Regards,
Andrei Cristian Petcu

Louise Crow

Sep 19, 2012, 4:00:14 AM9/19/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Great news!

> I also had to run [1] before [2] because I got an error that it was not
> installed.

That's odd - xapian-full-alaveteli should be installed by "bundle
install" in rails-post-deploy - at what point did you get an error
message? Was it before or after bundle install had run?

> Also I have version 2.11.3-3 of the libc6 package and all tests ran fine.
> There is a bug mentioned for version 2.11.3-2 in the install markdown file
> [3].

There's a workaround for that bug at the top of the Gemfile - so it
may be that you're not getting errors because the underlying bug has
been fixed in libc6, or because the workaround has been applied - if
you could confirm that you're still able to run all tests with the
workaround disabled, that would be great.

> Also, can I update the installation file with the mentioned changes? :)

Yes, please do submit a pull request for the install file, and I'll merge it in.

Cheers!

Louise

Andrei Petcu

Sep 19, 2012, 4:11:42 AM9/19/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Louise Crow <lou...@mysociety.org> wrote:
Great news!

> I also had to run [1] before [2] because I got an error that it was not
> installed.

That's odd - xapian-full-alaveteli should be installed by "bundle
install" in rails-post-deploy - at what point did you get an error
message? Was it before or after bundle install had run?

When I ran this "./script/rails-post-deploy" I got a huge error like this [1]
After I ran "
sudo gem install xapian-full-alaveteli -v '1.2.9.5'" and again "./script/rails-post-deploy" everything went fine.

[1] Installing xapian-full-alaveteli (1.2.9.5) with native extensions
Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

        "/usr/bin/ruby1.8" -rubygems /home/nuvasuparati/.bundler/tmp/2038/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/bin/rake RUBYARCHDIR=/home/nuvasuparati/.bundler/tmp/2038/gems/xapian-full-alaveteli-1.2.9.5/lib RUBYLIBDIR=/home/nuvasuparati/.bundler/tmp/2038/gems/xapian-full-alaveteli-1.2.9.5/lib
/usr/bin/ruby1.8: No such file or directory -- /home/nuvasuparati/.bundler/tmp/2038/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/bin/rake (LoadError)

Gem files will remain installed in /home/nuvasuparati/.bundler/tmp/2038/gems/xapian-full-alaveteli-1.2.9.5 for inspection.
Results logged to /home/nuvasuparati/.bundler/tmp/2038/gems/xapian-full-alaveteli-1.2.9.5/./gem_make.out

An error occurred while installing xapian-full-alaveteli (1.2.9.5), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install xapian-full-alaveteli -v '1.2.9.5'` succeeds before bundling.

> Also I have version 2.11.3-3 of the libc6 package and all tests ran fine.
> There is a bug mentioned for version 2.11.3-2 in the install markdown file
> [3].

There's a workaround for that bug at the top of the Gemfile - so it
may be that you're not getting errors because the underlying bug has
been fixed in libc6, or because the workaround has been applied - if
you could confirm that you're still able to run all tests with the
workaround disabled, that would be great.

I did not run "export LD_PRELOAD=/lib/libuuid.so.1." and I did not get any errors when running the tests (at least the last line in the log did not mention any errors failed=0). My version is 2.11.3-3 not 2.11.3-2 as mentioned in the install file. I guess it was fixed.

Louise Crow

Sep 19, 2012, 6:57:17 AM9/19/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com

When I ran this "./script/rails-post-deploy" I got a huge error like this [1]
After I ran "
sudo gem install xapian-full-alaveteli -v '1.2.9.5'" and again "./script/rails-post-deploy" everything went fine.

I've been able to replicate this locally in an environment with no gems installed, and have fixed it by adding rake (with a version specified) explicitly to the Gemfile. Thanks for reporting it. If anyone runs into issues with the new Gemfile, please do let me know.

Cheers

Louise

Andrei Petcu

Sep 19, 2012, 6:59:55 AM9/19/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com

I will rerun the whole process when I will have time and test that is fixed.

Cheers

Louise

Andrei Petcu

Sep 20, 2012, 6:51:09 PM9/20/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com

I ran a fresh install and it still happens. If you want, I can send you a VirtualBox virtual image on which you can easily reproduce the problem.

Cheers

Louise

Louise Crow

Sep 21, 2012, 3:20:08 AM9/21/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that'd be great, if you don't mind.

Cheers

Louise

Andrei Petcu

Sep 21, 2012, 1:19:11 PM9/21/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
This is the virtual machine I used to reproduce the problem [1]. In order to reproduce the problem open a terminal and run the post deploy script [2].

You havet to install virtual box [3], open it and go to File/Import appliance and then start the new virtual machine. "morpheus" is the password :)

Other information required is in the file I attached.

[1] http://ubuntuone.com/3Y9UNFWQRLmhljMNNaVKC8
[2]  cd ~/alaveteli
      ./script/rails-post-deploy
[3] https://www.virtualbox.org/

A added a file with
commands.txt

Louise Crow

Sep 24, 2012, 9:31:26 AM9/24/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this, I've got the applicance up and running and can reproduce the issue. It does seem to be that the building of the xapian-full-alaveteli gem with rake is failing as bundler is attempting to call the rake executable from the temporary directory it was just built in. I've filed an issue with bundler to see if they can throw any light on it

https://github.com/carlhuda/bundler/issues/2107

Cheers

Louise

Andrei Petcu

Sep 24, 2012, 10:33:10 AM9/24/12
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad I could help :)
You can share the virtual machine with them. I'm not very sure how long can I keep it in the Ubuntu1 cloud.