Release 0.41

Graeme Porteous

Jun 28, 2022, 1:34:10 PM6/28/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've created a release branch for the next Alaveteli release (release/0.41.0.0)[1]. We plan to merge this to master early next week.

## Highlighted Features

* Improve admin authorisation for embargoed content (Laurent Savaete, Graeme Porteous)
* Fixes some colour contrast accessibility issues (Lucas Cumsille Montesinos)
* Clarify `foi_no` special tag usage in admin UI (Gareth Rees)
* Make law used clearer on authority page (Gareth Rees)
* Add mass "delete tag" button for authorities in admin UI (Graeme Porteous)
* Add drag and drop handles to admin category interface (Gareth Rees)
* Improve spam notification messages with IP and country (Gareth Rees, Graeme Porteous)
* Remove Gaze support (Graeme Porteous)
* GitHub Action permission (Naveen Srinivasan, Graeme Porteous)
* Add clarification request button to incoming message admin actions (Gareth Rees)
* Show day of week in admin timeline (Gareth Rees)
* Improve admin CSV upload error prominence (Gareth Rees)
* Show all applicable censor rules on admin request pages (Gareth Rees)
* Track IP addresses associated with User sign ins if configured (Gareth Rees)
* Improve authorities questions radio button styling (Lucas Cumsille Montesinos)
* Add Xapian Job count health check (Graeme Porteous)
* Add "revert log in as" feature for admins (Graeme Porteous)
* Add admin user scopes tabs (Gareth Rees, Graeme Porteous)
* Show citations on admin pages (Gareth Rees)
* Show public body change request notes on body edit page (Gareth Rees)
* Show public body change request notes in the admin summary (Gareth Rees)
* Link to Public Body Change Request source URLs in admin interface (Gareth Rees)
* Admin styles for page printing or saving as PDF (Lucas Cumsille Montesinos)
* Add support `ActiveStorage` for attachments (Graeme Porteous)
* Block sign ups from restricted countries (Gareth Rees)
* Improve comment metadata on comment edit page (Gareth Rees)
* Improve comment metadata on comment listings (Gareth Rees)
* Add extra common one-click user ban reasons (Gareth Rees)
* Improve admin page browser tab titles (Gareth Rees)
* Show who made each edit on public body admin pages (Gareth Rees)
* Cap number of annotations a user can make in a day (Gareth Rees)
* Add "select all" button for annotations on admin pages (Gareth Rees)
* Fix rendering of refusal advice overflow (Lucas Cumsille Montesinos)
* Add support `ActiveStorage` for raw emails (Graeme Porteous)
* Add canned censor rule replacement reasons (Gareth Rees)
* Localise stripping of salutations (Gareth Rees)
* Ensure comments are reindexed after a bulk visibility change (Gareth Rees)
* Reduce attractiveness of Alaveteli to spammers by only showing user "about me" profile text to logged in users, or when the user has been manually marked as genuine (Gareth Rees)
* Add `/tor` path for redirecting sign ups from Tor at the webserver level (Gareth Rees)
* Add donate link to request page sidebar (Lucas Cumsille Montesinos, Gareth Rees)
* Upgrade to Rails 6.1 (Graeme Porteous)
* Preparation for Rails 7.0 upgrade (Graeme Porteous)
* Drop support for Ruby 2.5 (Graeme Porteous)
* Drop support for Ruby 2.6 (Graeme Porteous)
* Drop support for Debian 9 Stretch (Graeme Porteous)
* Drop support for Debian 10 Buster (Graeme Porteous)
* Drop support for Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic (Graeme Porteous)
* Continued code refactoring and improvements (Gareth Rees, Graeme Porteous)
* Dependencies upgrades (Graeme Porteous)

## Highlighted Pro Features

* Add batch authority count (Graeme Porteous)
* Improve batch duplication detection (Graeme Porteous)
* Add batch category UI improvements (Graeme Porteous)
* Add batch category performance improvements (Graeme Porteous)
* Add feature groups to grant access to multiple features based on user roles (Graeme Porteous)

Upgrade notes are available in the Changelog [2].

Please get in touch via this mailing list if you have questions or concerns with any of these changes.

As ever, a huge thanks to everyone who contributed.

Cheers,

[1] https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/tree/release/0.41.0.0
[2] https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/blob/release/0.41.0.0/doc/CHANGES.md#upgrade-notes

--
Graeme Porteous
gra...@mysociety.org

Graeme Porteous

Jul 5, 2022, 5:03:40 AM7/5/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This release has now been merged to master [1]. There were no additional changes made to the pre-release.
Before upgrading please read and perform actions described in the upgrade notes available in the Changelog [2].

Cheers,

[1] https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/releases/tag/0.41.0.0
[2] https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/blob/0.41.0.0/doc/CHANGES.md#upgrade-notes

--
Graeme Porteous
gra...@mysociety.org

Mattias Axell

Aug 5, 2022, 4:15:20 AM8/5/22
to Alaveteli Dev
Hi everyone!

We're very excited for the opportunity to upgrade our Alaveteli site to 0.41 but are running into troubles and we are in a bit of a rush because we have a large group of power users interested in the new Batch Category Request feature which was recently released.

We are pretty sure the issue is not some apt-installed package. We're trying to use the example storage.yml template to continue storing emails in raw formatting but throughout the upgrade alaveteli starts complaining that we do not have any "activesupport". So the issue we run into is that alaveteli cannot contact the database even though there is no issue with username, password or port which is used to connect to the database.

So before our alaveteli gets to the situation that it can read a request form the database, it runs into an error which aborts the functions which actually reads the data.

Are there others here on the list who are aware of this issue and know a potential fix?

Best,
Mattias

Laurent Savaëte

Aug 5, 2022, 4:38:15 AM8/5/22
to 'Mattias Axell' via Alaveteli Dev

Hi Mattias,

I ran through the upgrade to 0.41 just 2-3 days ago. I had some hiccups around ActiveStorage as well, but mostly misconfiguration. Can you share what config you have in storage.yml and what exact error messages you're seeing? It's a bit difficult to understand what is happening with your explanation below.

Also, just to clear that out. You did go through the upgrade notes in detail, right? https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/blob/0.41.0.0/doc/CHANGES.md (also, which version are you upgrading from?)

Laurent

Mattias Axell

Aug 8, 2022, 9:22:59 AM8/8/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to say before but: Such great news and work on this! Thanks!

Graeme Porteous

Aug 12, 2022, 10:39:52 AM8/12/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
I was able to help Mattias with this upgrade. Not sure what the original error was but when we worked through the upgrade notes again step by step all went well.

--
Graeme Porteous
gra...@mysociety.org

Mattias Axell

Aug 15, 2022, 12:11:24 PM8/15/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Thanks for the offer Laurent! And thanks Graeme! Our sysadmin followed instructions but we got some extra help from Graeme which helped solve the problem.

We've had problems with when counters are showing right e.g. amount of requests done. I noticed in the batch request view that the counter is not counting how many authorities have been added to the batch request. It just says "0 out of 500" at the counter, even if e.g. 100 out of 500 is added. We also get two error reports since the upgrade. It happens when replying to requests. Know anything about it?

An ActionView::Template::Error occurred in followups#new:

  undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass
  app/models/info_request.rb:1449:in `block in who_can_followup_to'

A TypeError occurred in followups#create:

  no implicit conversion of nil into String
  lib/mail_handler/backends/mail_backend.rb:398:in `+'

/Mattias