Alaveteli upgrades and dependency support

Laurent Savaëte

Nov 2, 2021, 7:42:06 AM11/2/21
to alavet...@googlegroups.com

Hi all (this is probably mostly questions to mySociety),

I'm in a middle of upgrading alaveteli on madada.fr to the latest version (from 0.38.1.0), and this has turned into a bit of a multiday dependency hell marathon :)

We're on ubuntu 18.04. While upgrading to alaveteli 0.39.0.0 (I'm doing things step by step), I hit https://github.com/rubyjs/mini_racer/issues/203 and support being dropped for phusion passenger on 18.04 (apparently in part because ruby 2.5 is EOL now).

The answer to the first issue (by Gareth on github) was apparently to upgrade ubuntu to 20.04 (and the same applies to the second issue above). Basically, right now, ubuntu 18.04 is falling apart because a number of dependencies are moving away from it (at least that's my understanding).

At the same time, I see that support by alaveteli for ubuntu 20.04 is only going to be added in 0.40 (https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/issues/6347). So I find myself wondering if upgrading to 20.04 is going to break something for us (I'm testing on a staging server first, but still).

Am I doing something wrong (besides being late on catching up with the latest version of alaveteli)? Right now, it looks like there is no clear upgrade path to 0.39.1.7.

Should I just upgrade straight to the latest alaveteli?

Extra question: which version of ruby do you recommend using? We're on 2.5 now, but it appears to already be EOL (since march), so I suppose I can/should upgrade to 2.6? Can I hop over to 2.7, considering that support for it will be added in 0.40 or are these non-backwards compatible?

Also, I saw that our current postgresql (9.6) will receive its final update next week (Nov 11, according to https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/) which I guess means it's reaching EOL as well. Is it safe to upgrade to a newer version right now? Is there a recommended one for alaveteli?

sorry for the dumpster load of questions!

Laurent for madada.fr

Gareth Rees

Nov 8, 2021, 10:42:12 AM11/8/21
to Alaveteli Dev
> Am I doing something wrong (besides being late on catching up with the latest version of alaveteli)?

Probably not – we've probably missed something since we're still running Debian Stretch internally :(

There wasn't much needed to add Focal support [1], and I don't see why 0.38.1.0 wouldn't run on that.

> which version of ruby do you recommend using?

The latest possible! We run 2.7 here, and we'll be trying to get to Ruby 3.0 as soon as we can. 2.7 will be the minimum supported in Rails 7.

> Also, I saw that our current postgresql (9.6) will receive its final update next week (Nov 11, according to https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/) which I guess means it's reaching EOL as well. Is it safe to upgrade to a newer version right now? Is there a recommended one for alaveteli?

We currently run separate database servers using postgresql 9.6 on Debian Stretch. We don't have any experience running anything else. We'll be targeting Bullseye as our next main OS, which uses postgres 13 [2]. At the moment I'm not sure I can add anything further.