Problem with publishing FOI request

Diana Butnaru

Sep 26, 2022, 3:39:36 AM9/26/22
to Alaveteli Dev
Dear colleagues,

We have an issue with our Moldovan Alavateli platform www.VreauInfo.md:

New FOI requests are registered within the Platform, we can see them in the System/Cpanel, but they do NOT appear in Public, on the main site!

What could be the problem?

Kind regards

Gareth Rees

Sep 26, 2022, 5:19:22 AM9/26/22
to Alaveteli Dev
> New FOI requests are registered within the Platform, we can see them in the System/Cpanel, but they do NOT appear in Public, on the main site!

This sounds like you might not be running the xapian search engine re-indexing task. These should be running via cron [1].

Best,

Vitalie.ZAMA

Sep 26, 2022, 8:27:29 AM9/26/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gareth,

Thanx for your response!

So how should we fix it?

Kind regards,

Vitalie

Avocat Vitalie ZAMA /LL.M
P.A. "Lawyers for Human Rights"
A.O. "Juristii pentru Drepturile Omului"
mun. Chisinau, MD 2009
str. V. Pircalab, 2 of. 13

TEL: + 373 22 274161

Disclaimer: If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.

Gareth Rees

Sep 27, 2022, 4:47:36 AM9/27/22
to Alaveteli Dev
Hi Vitalie,

First steps would be to read through the guide on Cron & Daemons linked above and check that your configuration is as it should be.

You should have a file in /etc/cron.d/ for your Alaveteli install, and that file should have a line that calls script/update-xapian-index. That task will log to the update-xapian-index.log file in the application's log directory, which should give some output so you can see what the script is doing.

You can also run the task manually from the application's root directory to update the index. If you do this, and the requests appear on your site, then that would almost certainly mean that you haven't been automatically indexing the content via the cron task.

    cd /path/to/your/alaveteli
    script/update-xapian-index verbose=true

Best,

Gareth