Alaveteli responsive theme

Andrei Cristian Petcu

Jan 11, 2016, 4:02:17 PM1/11/16
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hello Alaveteli community,

I am trying to install a new instance of Alaveteli and I'm having
trouble with the theme. I want to use a responsive theme like the one
from alaveteli.org. I forked mysociety/alavetelitheme but the index page
does not look the same. You can check it out here
https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/t9rjbRF8SLz9z9D

If I request an CSS that is present in alaveteli.org then I get the
correct response (I looked at /assets/css/global.css). I think that the
html page somehow does not get rendered correctly and it does not load
the correct CSS/JS. I use matching tags for the alaveteli and
alavetelitheme.

I used my own fork of openautralia's infrastructure, my fork of
alaveteli and of alavetelitheme. I provision with Ansible and deploy
with Capistrano.
https://github.com/openaustralia/infrastructure#right-to-know

I tried not to reinvent the wheel.

What do you think is my problem?

Thank you,
Andrei Petcu

signature.asc

Henare Degan

Jan 11, 2016, 5:22:47 PM1/11/16
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrei,

It's a bit hard to tell from the screenshots (maybe you could send a link) but it looks like the theme didn't install properly. The configuration for that will be provisioned by Ansible and the theme will be installed by Capistrano as part of the deploy.

Cheers,

Henare

--
Henare Degan
hen...@oaf.org.au

Andrei Cristian Petcu

Jan 12, 2016, 12:28:09 PM1/12/16
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Henare for your fast reply.

I will check out the theme install process manually.
I do not have a public facing server yet with the new instance. There is
a zip file in the shared folder with the page as it is loaded from my
local vagrant box.

I just ran "RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec rake routes" on my server
and this is the output:
https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/Y8HGD5w1kd1DtyT Should I see
something theme related in that list? The theme is in
/srv/www/current/lib/themes/alavetelitheme and it checked out the
correct branch (my origin/production which is a branch derived from
use-with-alaveteli-0.23)

Cheers,
Andrei

On 01/12/2016 12:22 AM, Henare Degan wrote:
> Hi Andrei,
>
> It's a bit hard to tell from the screenshots (maybe you could send a
> link) but it looks like the theme didn't install properly. The
> configuration for that will be provisioned by Ansible and the theme will
> be installed by Capistrano as part of the deploy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Henare
>
> --
> Henare Degan
> hen...@oaf.org.au <mailto:hen...@oaf.org.au>
> Volunteer & worker - OpenAustralia Foundation <http://www.oaf.org.au/> -
> @OpenAustralia <https://twitter.com/OpenAustralia>
>
> On 12 January 2016 at 08:02, Andrei Cristian Petcu <and...@ceata.org
> <mailto:and...@ceata.org>> wrote:
>
> Hello Alaveteli community,
>
> I am trying to install a new instance of Alaveteli and I'm having
> trouble with the theme. I want to use a responsive theme like the one
> from alaveteli.org <http://alaveteli.org>. I forked
> mysociety/alavetelitheme but the index page
> does not look the same. You can check it out here
> https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/t9rjbRF8SLz9z9D
>
> If I request an CSS that is present in alaveteli.org
> <http://alaveteli.org> then I get the
> correct response (I looked at /assets/css/global.css). I think that the
> html page somehow does not get rendered correctly and it does not load
> the correct CSS/JS. I use matching tags for the alaveteli and
> alavetelitheme.
>
> I used my own fork of openautralia's infrastructure, my fork of
> alaveteli and of alavetelitheme. I provision with Ansible and deploy
> with Capistrano.
> https://github.com/openaustralia/infrastructure#right-to-know
>
> I tried not to reinvent the wheel.
>
> What do you think is my problem?
>
> Thank you,
> Andrei Petcu
>
> --
>

> --
signature.asc

Louise Crow

Jan 13, 2016, 12:02:04 PM1/13/16
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrei,

http://alaveteli.org is the alaveteli documentation site - http://demo.alaveteli.org/ is our demo site, which demonstrates the default responsive theme from alavetelitheme. You should be able to get your site looking like http://demo.alaveteli.org using alavetelitheme.

It looks to me like your site is not using the responsive version of the stylesheets - you can get it to do so by setting RESPONSIVE_STYLING to true in your general.yml file. After you've done this, you may need to clean out the cache in your alaveteli directory (rm -rf tmp/cache in development mode, in production mode you'll need to regenerate the assets), and restart alaveteli in order to see the changes.

Cheers

Louise

Andrei Cristian Petcu

Jan 13, 2016, 12:39:29 PM1/13/16
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Louise,

The responsive theme works!
Probably it is a good idea to add this info on one of these pages:

http://alaveteli.org/docs/customising/themes/
http://alaveteli.org/docs/customising/themes/#customising-the-help-pages

I see RESPONSIVE_STYLING is only mentioned here
http://alaveteli.org/docs/customising/config/#responsive_styling and
somehow I managed to miss it.

demo.alaveteli.org has a little more color than the alavetelitheme I am
using. Please look at the screenshot
https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/t9rjbRF8SLz9z9D file responsive.png

I guess I can customize it myself but I would like to reuse as much as
possible. I am not a designer. I would really like to copy
demo.alaveteli.org as much as I can if that is ok with you.

How do I do that?

Thank you,
Andrei Petcu

On 01/13/2016 07:02 PM, Louise Crow wrote:
> Hi Andrei,
>
> http://alaveteli.org is the alaveteli documentation site -
> http://demo.alaveteli.org/ is our demo site, which demonstrates the
> default responsive theme from alavetelitheme. You should be able to get
> your site looking like http://demo.alaveteli.org using alavetelitheme.
>
> It looks to me like your site is not using the responsive version of the
> stylesheets - you can get it to do so by setting RESPONSIVE_STYLING to
> true in your general.yml file. After you've done this, you may need to
> clean out the cache in your alaveteli directory (rm -rf tmp/cache in
> development mode, in production mode you'll need to regenerate the
> assets), and restart alaveteli in order to see the changes.
>
> Cheers
>
> Louise
>
> On 12 January 2016 at 17:27, Andrei Cristian Petcu <and...@ceata.org
> <mailto:hen...@oaf.org.au <mailto:hen...@oaf.org.au>>
> > Volunteer & worker - OpenAustralia Foundation
> <http://www.oaf.org.au/> -
> > @OpenAustralia <https://twitter.com/OpenAustralia>
> >
> > On 12 January 2016 at 08:02, Andrei Cristian Petcu <and...@ceata.org <mailto:and...@ceata.org>
> > <mailto:alaveteli-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:alaveteli-dev%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >

> > --
> <mailto:alaveteli-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:alaveteli-de...@googlegroups.com
signature.asc

Louise Crow

Jan 13, 2016, 12:55:58 PM1/13/16
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrei,

Good point - I've ticket that now [1]

demo.alaveteli.org has a little more color than the alavetelitheme I am
using. Please look at the screenshot
https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/t9rjbRF8SLz9z9D file responsive.png

I guess I can customize it myself but I would like to reuse as much as
possible. I am not a designer. I would really like to copy
demo.alaveteli.org as much as I can if that is ok with you.

How do I do that?

It looks like your screenshot is showing the basic responsive theme from the core Alaveteli codebase, without the alavetelitheme theme having been applied. alavetelitheme is designed for people to copy, so we're very happy for you to do so!  Is the THEME_URLS setting in your general.yml file pointing at the repo for your fork of alavetelitheme? It will need to be for the theme to be used. Once it is, you may need to clear caches as before and restart alaveteli in order to see it.

Cheers

and...@ceata.org

Jan 14, 2016, 9:10:37 AM1/14/16
to alavet...@googlegroups.com, Louise Crow
Hmmm. Strange. I can see that the correct THEME_URLS is picked up in the log of Capistrano.
I will investigate some more.

Thank you,
Andrei

Andrei Cristian Petcu

Jan 14, 2016, 12:27:21 PM1/14/16
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I destroyed the Vagrant box, provisioned a brand new one and the
responsive theme is picked up as it is supposed to.

Andrei