Installation instructions on Mac M1

Anas Ambri

Oct 7, 2022, 11:07:05 AM10/7/22
to Alaveteli Dev
Hello there,

I wanted to update the instructions on this page, regarding installing on MacOS, specifically for the M1 chip. As of right now, it's not possible to use Vagrant for development (VB doesn't support M1 yet), so I had to go with a manual setup.

The homebrew location has changed. On M1, it's `/opt/homebrew` instead of `/usr/local` (this can be found by running `brew --Cellar`)

Before running `bundle install`, it's necessary to configure the bundle setup.

First, Installing `charlock_holmes` requires installing `icu4c`, which can be done using brew:

```

brew install icu4c

gem install charlock_holmes -- --with-icu-dir=/usr/local/Cellar/icu4c

```

Also, both `mahoro` and `pg` need bundle config parameters to be set:

```

bundle config --local build.mahoro "--with-cppflags=-I/opt/homebrew/Cellar/libmagic/5.43/include --with-ldflags=-L/opt/homebrew/Cellar/libmagic/5.43/lib"

bundle config build.pg --local -- --with-pg-config=/opt/homebrew/opt/libpq/bin/pg_config

```

Graeme Porteous

Oct 10, 2022, 6:14:36 AM10/10/22
to alavet...@googlegroups.com
We are planning on dropping support for Vagrant soon because as you say its not possible to run Virtual Box on M1 Macs.

The replacement will be to use Docker dev container. Documentation on alavetel.org hasn't yet been updated but we have a quick guide here https://github.com/mysociety/alaveteli/blob/develop/docker/README.md.

Let us know how you get on and any issues see.

--
Graeme Porteous
gra...@mysociety.org