Fleche Ideas?

Kevin Turinsky

Dec 16, 2010, 8:43:08 PM12/16/10
to Alaska Randonneurs
While our road system is pretty limited, don't forget that your
particular route doesn't have to be one-way. I've been catching up on
a bunch of fleche ride reports, and lots of teams do out-and-back
routes. So, since the finish is here in Anchorage, there can be
several out-and-back route possibilities, to the north, and to the
south.

For instance:
Anchorage
Alyeska
Portage Visitor Center
Moose Pass
Portage Visitor Center
Alyeska
Anchorage
373KM

Anchorage
Hope
Moose Pass
Anchorage
372KM

So, what start time gives us max daylight ride time, and minimizes
night riding? The ride is 24 hours long, so what ever time you start,
it seems like you're going to get whatever daylight there is for that
time of year.

360K in 24 hours is pretty reasonable. That means that if we do start
it at 10PM, faster teams could easily start several hours later,
minimizing riding in the dark, while counting on their faster pace to
get them to the finish on time.

Several of the ride reports I've been reading mention lots of
'logistical' rest stops just to make sure they weren't covering too
much distance too quickly.

Read this highly entertaining one by Kent Peterson about the Shiftless
Bums, back in 2006:
http://www.carsstink.org/peterson/Fleche2006/FlecheNW.html