Seward 200k Permanent

Tom Parker

Jan 6, 2011, 4:33:19 PM1/6/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
RUSA has approved my very first permanent!

The route is a point-to-point, reversible, 200k mostly following the
existing Anchorage-Seward 200k. This is a beautiful course starting at
the South end of Anchorage and ending in Seward.

There are a few options for returning to Anchorage, including the
Alaska Railroad. Even better since the route is reversible, you can
ride to Seward, spend the night there, then ride the permanent again
back to Anchorage. The Alaska Railroad's Coastal Classic runs daily
from May 14th through September 11th. It departs Seward at 6:00pm,
arriving in Anchorage at 10:15pm. The fare for the 2011 season is $75
plus a $20 special handling fee for your bicycle.

I've started a page for this permanent on the new Alaska Randonneurs
web site. Please let me know what you think, and if you have any
suggestions for improvement.
http://www.alaskarandonneurs.org/permanents/AnchorageSeward200k

The RUSA listing for the ride is at:
http://www.rusa.org/cgi-bin/permview_GF.pl?permid=1042

For more info on the RUSA permanents program see:
http://www.rusa.org/perminfo.html

I wasn't able to find many pics of the last two brevets using this
route. If you have any you're willing to share, please let me know.

Also, with the 1200k this summer, and a slightly shorter brevet
calendar, I imagine there will be riders looking for extra miles. If
you have an idea for another permanent, I would strongly encourage you
to submit it. Working with the Crista, the RUSA permanents
coordinator, was great. She is very responsive, has an eye for detail,
and amazing patience.

If you have any questions about the route, creating your own
permanent, or want a hand creating a route, let me know.

Finally, many thanks to Kevin for designing the route I copied. This
is mostly his work.

Buzz Scher

Jan 6, 2011, 5:18:06 PM1/6/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
Tom & Joy

Great job - now all I have to do is wait 5 months

Happy New Year - Buzz

Tom Parker

Jan 6, 2011, 5:59:30 PM1/6/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
With the new RUSA P-12 award. It would be great to find a well-plowed,
low-traffic 100k route. Something that could be ridden on studded
tires at a rando pace. Any ideas?

We have two permanents that are rideable during the summer. What about
a 100k perm that's only available during the winter?

Kevin Turinsky

Jan 6, 2011, 6:33:48 PM1/6/11
to Alaska Randonneurs
Congratulations, Tom! And thanks a lot for adding to randonneuring in
AK!
If everyone just did one...

Regarding a winter permanent, the roads on base are maintained to
perfection in the winter. Really. I don't know if you could squeeze
100K out of it, but it's certainly worth a look. I think it's pretty
reasonable to get on base as a civilian.

Sorensen, Andrew K.

Jan 6, 2011, 6:25:56 PM1/6/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Tom.

I never knew about the P-12 award; that might motivate me for a few extra winter rides.

If weather/snow cooperated a winter 100k might be doable on Anchorage MUPs with either studs or fatties. It'd be an extra element of challenge to get those winter k's in.

Kevin Turinsky

Jan 6, 2011, 6:43:47 PM1/6/11
to Alaska Randonneurs
There's going to be a winter 50K populaire on 2/13. It'll be nice.
We're doing it as a benefit for the BCA's Winter Bike Fest. Stay
tuned...

On Jan 6, 2:25 pm, "Sorensen, Andrew K." <Andrew.Soren...@alyeska-

Tom Parker

Jan 6, 2011, 7:04:34 PM1/6/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
I've thought about trying to plan a route in town, but I worry that
I'll run out of path, or encounter terrain that wouldn't support the
required speed. What about the valley? Could we squeeze 60 miles out
of a tour around the farms?

On the topic of stuff that's hard to find out about if you don't
obsessively check the RUSA web site, RUSA is getting a batch of
Showers Pass jackets printed with their logo. They look slick, and are
at a bit of a discount, but I'm not sure about the large logo on the
back. I'd jump on one if it was just the chest logo and reflective
sleeve.

http://www.rusa.org/ShowersPassOffer2011/

Kevin Turinsky

Jan 6, 2011, 7:46:48 PM1/6/11
to Alaska Randonneurs
You'll probably have better luck on the Valley roads. They get less
snow overall, and that wind makes it evaporate quicker. Voris and the
REI guys have told me that the roads up there clear off way before
Anchorage.
Weather is so much more of a factor for us in the winter. If you
schedule a ride during the normal riding season, and it's windy and
rainy, you can still do the ride within the time limit. With snow and
ice, however, you could really be shut down.

Word on the permaments e-mail listserve is that northern latitude/
climate riders should develop their own awards, and not worry about
trying to achieve the RUSA awards for things like R12 and P12. Not
something I'm totally happy about. I'd prefer an allowance to do 12
brevets/perms in 8 months or something like that.

Thanks for the jacket link. I think the most exciting thing about that
is that RUSA is perhaps seeing the potential of industry partnerships.
RUSA has what, 5,000 members? That's a lot of potential. I think there
should be partnerships w/ dozens of other manufacturers and services.

Buzz Scher

Jan 6, 2011, 8:33:14 PM1/6/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
Kevin

Please share your method of getting on base - I have not been able to get onto EAFB or FTAR for the past +5 years - to ride a bike or bird the lakes - I would LOVE to know how to get on.

Happy New Year, Buzz

Jan 6, 2011, 9:15:51 PM1/6/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
> RUSA has what, 5,000 members?

This got me curious, so I checked. RUSA had 2928 members last year. So
far, 1798 people have paid their 2011 membership dues. I imagine there
will be a spike in memberships this year, as there has been in other
PBP years.

However, what stuck out to me is that currently, Alaska is the
randonneuring-est state in the nation! At least as counted by
memberships per capita.

http://www.rusa.org/cgi-bin/member_demographics.pl

Veronica Beagan

Jan 6, 2011, 9:40:57 PM1/6/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
Elmendorf Boniface Gate offers a one week pass if you have a military
member willing to sign for you. Ft Rich Gate has a one year pass you
can get that allows you access to the base for recreational purposes.
You need your drivers license to get one. Then each time you go to ride
out there you have to either go to the gate to sign in, or call a phone
number they have on the card. This pass gets you up arctic valley, on
the tank trails and Ft rich property. It wont get you in any gates on
Elmendorf. (I cheat the process by being retired military)

I havent tried winter biking out there, but could check out the current
rules in the next few days and get back to you.

Veronica

On 1/6/2011 4:33 PM, Buzz Scher wrote:
> Kevin
>
> Please share your method of getting on base - I have not been able to get onto EAFB or FTAR for the past +5 years - to ride a bike or bird the lakes - I would LOVE to know how to get on.
>
> Happy New Year, Buzz

Veronica Beagan

Jan 7, 2011, 4:02:40 PM1/7/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
I am thinking of possibly a 200K round trip from Wasilla (somewhere
near the Cadillac Cafe) to Downtown Talkeetna (somewhere near the
Talkeetna Roadhouse). I would set the permanent so you could start at
either end. So I guess it would be two. What do you guys think?

Veronica

Tom Parker

Jan 7, 2011, 4:21:08 PM1/7/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
I like it! I enjoy the ride out to Talkeetna, and starting in Wasilla
avoids the worst part of the hwy.

Since it's a point-to-point, it'd be great if the starting point was
somewhere a car could be left overnight. I could see wanting to ride
to Talkeetna, spend the night there, then ride back the next day.

Veronica Beagan

Jan 7, 2011, 6:02:23 PM1/7/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
I am setting it us as an out and back. I am thinking of making a 4
route option. A 200K out and back starting at either end and a 100K
point to point each direction. As long as I am coordinating I can copy
and paste the info from one.

Veronica

Kevin Turinsky

Jan 9, 2011, 1:55:11 AM1/9/11
to Alaska Randonneurs
Veronica, these are great routes you're working on. I think they're
very useful to the cause. Riders will be grateful to you for putting
those together. I think you'll be surprised at how much use they will
get! Thanks for doing these. I know they take a lot of work. Just
think...in the end, you'll be an expert w/ Mapmyride.com.

On Jan 7, 2:02 pm, Veronica Beagan <beag...@ak.net> wrote:
> I am setting it us as an out and back.  I am thinking of making a 4
> route option.  A 200K out and back starting at either end and a 100K
> point to point each direction.  As long as I am coordinating I can copy
> and paste the info from one.
>
> Veronica
>
> On 1/7/2011 12:21 PM, Tom Parker wrote:
>

> > I like it! I enjoy the ride out to Talkeetna, and starting in Wasilla
> > avoids the worst part of the hwy.
>
> > Since it's a point-to-point, it'd be great if the starting point was
> > somewhere a car could be left overnight. I could see wanting to ride
> > to Talkeetna, spend the night there, then ride back the next day.

Veronica Beagan

Jan 9, 2011, 7:52:12 PM1/9/11
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
Did you decide if you were having a meeting next tues?

Veronica