winter riding in New Jersey!

Katie R

Jan 18, 2011, 1:55:00 PM1/18/11
to Alaska Randonneurs
I know this is probably NOTHING compared to the winter riding you all
do up north but I'm pretty proud of the effort put into completing
ride 7 of my R-12 this past weekend.

the temps were cold (by NJ standards) with highs only making it to the
low 30's, thankfully there was only a minimum of ice in the margins.
no land speed records were broken but we all got around in a
respectable 11 hours.,

you can check out the photos here

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NJ-Rando/188322074513212

select the "NJ Rando + others" tab

(I'm the tandem captain in the purple windbreaker)

be well,
your friend from the south
- Katie

Kevin Turinsky

Jan 19, 2011, 12:38:27 AM1/19/11
to Alaska Randonneurs
You're already almost 3/4 of the way to your R-12?! Wow! We can't even
begin to think of brevets until April.

Thanks for sharing your photos w/ us! Low 30s is cold at any latitude.
That's tough! I loved the one w/ the cue sheet clipped to your back.

Hope you coming up to ride with us!!

Katie R

Jan 19, 2011, 10:57:12 AM1/19/11
to Alaska Randonneurs
Hi Kevin

thanks for the nice comments... thankfully the permanent owner was
one of the riders so we were able to make the decision that "Thunder
Cats are GO!" literally the night before. temps are dropping down to
the 20's by the end of this week, roads will be a big sheet of black
ice so I'm glad I got it done. I'm finding the more rides in the bag,
the harder it is to just give it up due to unsuitable weather
conditions. (there was talk of driving south if the weather didn't
shape up!)

But, truth be told, I'm a wimp, I'm hoping to head down to Florida for
my February ride! :)

I'm seriously considering your 1200. what kind of climbing do you
have? although I've been to your great state, I was mainly on the
coast so I'm not that familiar with the terrian other then the
mountains are huge (as well as the wildlife). I have bookmarked your
website and read the most recent update but your description doesn't
really give a feel of what the terrain is going to be like. lots of
up downs up downs? long sustained ups? or my favorite - long
sustained downs?

Also what are the temps and the duration of daylight that time of
year?

be well,
Katie