Big Wild Ride - how much cash to carry?

fitzbase

Jun 2, 2013, 6:57:22 PM6/2/13
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
I am getting the understanding that food costs more in Alaska, especially in the middle of nowhere.  Do we have to carry lots of cash?  Do roadhouses take credit cards?

Thanks!

Ted

Jun 4, 2013, 1:49:45 AM6/4/13
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
I think that most of the roadhouses take credit cards.  That being said I'm sure some of the places along the road won't.  And a hamburger and fries will be $15+ in some places.  So I will probably take a little extra cash.

In 2009 I did a tour with my son that included the section of the BWR from Glennallen to Fairbanks.  We spent the night at Sourdough Roadhouse and I charged both dinner and breakfast on a credit card.  One of the charges never showed up on my card.  We also ate dinner at Midway Lodge.  The hostess had trouble with the credit transaction but eventually got it to work.  When I got my statement, I had two charges, one for the dinner, and one for the dinner and the tip I had included.  I figured it all sort of worked out in the end.

Ted

Kevin Turinsky

Jun 4, 2013, 10:55:24 PM6/4/13
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, maybe it cost a tad more, but it's nominal. You won't need an extra-normal amount of cash. Most, or all places will take credit/debit cards. You'll find ATMs at 200-ish K, 430-ish, Fairbanks, Healy, and lots of other places.

Willi Fast

Jun 5, 2013, 10:16:03 AM6/5/13
to alaska-ra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kevin:

Will the Randonee be administered (i.e. brevet cards, directions, etc.) in metric (kilometres) or imperial (miles) units?

--
Willi Fast, MSc RPF
Senior Partner

FORCORP