Alana Joli Abbott Update: An Adventure, An Anthology, and An Online Magazine

Alana Joli Abbott

Sep 3, 2008, 12:08:59 AM9/3/08
Dear friends,

For those of you who are receiving this e-mail directly from me: the dawning of a new era has slowly come! I've been trying to transfer all of this e-mail list over to a google group, so that gmail doesn't lock me out of my account (which is what happens when you send e-mail to 500 unique addresses in a 24 hour period). However, I haven't gotten you all (and a few of you I've actually added this time around on the suspicion that you'd be interested in receiving this message). If you're still receiving this directly from my e-mail address rather than through the google group, please visit http://groups.google.com/group/alanajoliabbottfans and sign up to continue receiving e-mail. This gives you the benefit of opting in, so my infrequent updates will not show up in your inbox without your permission. If you have any questions about how to sign up, just send me a note; I'm happy to help out.

For those of you who are already receiving this via google group: THANKS! I appreciate your staying with me.

August was a pretty big month for getting my work out into the world, though some of the work is still in pre-release rather than immediately available. I had the opportunity early this year to work with Margaret Weis Productions on an adventure for Serenity Adventures, a series of role playing one-shots set in the universe of Firefly and Serenity, the television series and movie created by Joss Whedon. The book is available in pdf format through DriveThruRPG http://tinyurl.com/5md2os, and can be pre-ordered through Paizo and various other game and booksellers: http://tinyurl.com/5oco7m.

On the fiction front, my short story "Don't Let Go" appeared in Ransom: The Anthology: Deals Gone Bad/Good, edited by fantasy writer Dylan Birtolo. The subtitle makes more sense when you look at the cover, which you can see on both Amazon http://tinyurl.com/5nj9kz and Barnes and Noble http://tinyurl.com/6hz7ew. The title features short stories by a number of other excellent authors (including fellow Simon's Rock alumna, Lydia Laurenson, and one of my writing friends from high school, who I believe wrote under a pseud--I'll let those of you who know us both figure it out), and I'm very much looking forward to receiving my author copy so I'll get a chance to read them all.

Also in fiction, my short story "Nomi's Wish," which I've been shopping around for almost five years, has finally found a home. It will be appearing in the next issue of the online magazine Coyote Wild, which you can see at http://www.coyotewildmag.com. I haven't heard the *official* word on when the issue is coming out, as there have been a few delays from the editorial team, but I'm excited to see this full collection as well. The issue is a YA special edition, and the stories were chosen by Sherwood Smith (who is as fabulous and editor to work with as she is an author) and a team of teen readers, so I feel even more grateful that I passed the muster.

Otherwise, summer has been full here on the shoreline with plenty of opportunities to spend time with friends and family, go to the beach, be out on the water, and play role playing games. I hope that all of you have had an excellent summer as well!

Best wishes, and thanks as always for being interested in my writing!

Alana Joli Abbott

Cowboys and Aliens II: http://www.drunkduck.com/Cowboys_and_Aliens_II/
Into the Reach and Departure: http://www.whitesilverpublishing.com/ramlar
Steampunk Musha RPG: http://www.steampunkmusha.com/