The ALAN IF Testbed

Tristano Ajmone

Jun 11, 2021, 5:39:07 AM6/11/21
to Alan-IF post message

Ciao everyone,

I've just created the The ALAN IF Testbed, a repository dedicated to ALAN tests:

https://github.com/alan-if/Alan-Testbed

@thomas, this might be a good place to carry out preliminary tests for the UTF-8 migration
of projects like the StdLib, starting with some small-scale tests. I also thought it would
be better to test using Rake for builds in a separate repo, rather than in branches, so I
have more freedom to push boundaries without fear of breaking up things.

Of course, the Testbed project is open for all sorts of tests, not just the new UTF-8 feature.
Anyone wishing to join the repository with access rights only needs to ask.

Speaking of using Rake to handle builds in ALAN repositories, I've come across this wonderful
review of Rake, by Martin Fowler (which I believe you're already fond of, since he's the
author of the "Crossing Refactoring's Rubicon" article you mention in your c-xrefactory fork):

https://martinfowler.com/articles/rake.html

Fowler compares his experience with Make, Ant and Rake, and explains through practical examples
why he prefers Rake over the other two.

Tristano Ajmone (Italy)
IFDB profile page:
http://ifdb.tads.org/search?searchfor=author+Ajmone