Feedback on WinARun beta8-2207

Tristano Ajmone

Jun 9, 2021, 7:17:29 PM6/9/21
to Alan-IF Google Group
Ciao @Thomas,

I wanted to inform you that I've successfully installed WinARun beta8-2207 on my machine,
and that it opened the sample adventure without problems.

I'm not quite sure how this new Alpha preview exposes the new optional UTF8 features, i.e.
how to specify the encoding used for transcripts and solutions (imported or generated).

It should be possible that an external solution file encoded in UTF-8 might lead to issues
if it uses a character beyond the plain ASCII range (e.g. certain letters with accents or
diacritics), for it would encoded as two separate bytes in UTF-8.

Although in the various projects I rely only on the command line Alan tools, I was curious
how the new encoding features are (or will) be handled in WinARun.

Best regards,

Tristano Ajmone (Italy)
IFDB profile page:
http://ifdb.tads.org/search?searchfor=author+Ajmone
Alan 3 Syntax for Sublime Text:
https://github.com/tajmone/sublime-alan

Thomas Nilefalk

Jun 10, 2021, 4:15:49 AM6/10/21
to Tristano Ajmone, ala...@googlegroups.com
På 10 juni 2021 kl. 01:17:31, Tristano Ajmone (taj...@gmail.com) skrev:
Ciao @Thomas,

Salve!

I wanted to inform you that I've successfully installed WinARun beta8-2207 on my machine,
and that it opened the sample adventure without problems.

Good to hear that the whole build chain is working. Actually I learned how to set up Jenkins to utilize a local cloud based on Docker images in the process ;-) (If you, the reader, don't know what any of that means, just ignore it, except maybe that a hobby often gives us the chance of learning other new things too...)

I'm not quite sure how this new Alpha preview exposes the new optional UTF8 features, i.e.
how to specify the encoding used for transcripts and solutions (imported or generated).

It should be possible that an external solution file encoded in UTF-8 might lead to issues
if it uses a character beyond the plain ASCII range (e.g. certain letters with accents or
diacritics), for it would encoded as two separate bytes in UTF-8.

Although in the various projects I rely only on the command line Alan tools, I was curious
how the new encoding features are (or will) be handled in WinARun.

To get any interpreter to adhere to the new encoding you need to add the `-u` option from the command line. This applies to WinArun too, so far. I was thinking about adding a menu where you could set the encoding for transcripts and solution files (the only things that matter for a GLK-based terp), but now I'm leaning towards not bothering with that. GLK-has it's own I/O-functions so it might be a bit messy to handle, as an example it is not obvious how, or if, you can control the file extension for transcripts and command logs in GLK-I/O.

For beta9 we will simply enforce UTF-8 encoding for those files, and then the "problem" will mostly be gone.

/Thomas