IMPORTANT: To all Sublime-Alan and Highlight users...

Tristano Ajmone

May 25, 2021, 9:36:19 PM5/25/21
to Alan-IF Google Group
Ciao everyone,

I have an important announcement for all users of the Sublime-Alan package and
Highlight syntax highlighter.

I recently discovered that there's another Alan language out there, created by
Alan Technologies, Inc.:

https://alan-lang.org

The name clashes issue was brought to my attention in the Alan syntax definition
I have created for highlight.js, when a new syntax was created for the other Alan
language, which forced me to change my syntax name to 'alan-if':

https://github.com/highlightjs/highlightjs-alan-if/issues/6

Since I don't want to create unneeded conflicts between the two syntaxes, and
because our ALAN is technically called "Alan IF" and not just "Alan", I decided
to spontaneously contact Alan Tech in order to coordinate efforts to solve any
existing name clashes and avoid future ones:

https://github.com/alantech/alan/issues/548

This means that in the future I might have to rename the "sublime-alan" repository
to "sublime-alan-if", which is going to break the package for anyone using it right
now — since the package is not available via PackageControl, users will have installed
it via Git.

https://github.com/tajmone/sublime-alan

As for Highlight, at some point I will have to change the syntax ID from "alan" to
"alan-if" or "alan3", to make room for the other Alan language, which will affect
all documents that rely on Highlight, since they'll have to tweak the language ID
in all the source documents (e.g. in AsciiDoc, markdown, etc.).

Hence, I would like to know who's using the Sublime Alan package for Sublime Text
right now, so we can coordinate the repository renaming and updating your local
installs.

NOTE: Sublime Alan will very soon migrate from Sublime Text 3 to the newly released
Sublime Text 4; so it will no longer work for ST3 when I start using the new feautres
of ST4 (which are going to drastically improve the package).

I would also like to know who would be affected by the Highlight syntax updates, so
I can decide whether to drop the "alan" ID entirely, in favour of "alan-if" and/or
"alan3", or whether I should keep it as an alias, hoping it won't clash with the
other Alan syntax.

I would also like to hear your opinion on whether the syntax identifier for ALAN 3
source code should be changed to "alan3" (or "alan-if3"). This would avoid clashes
with other future syntaxes, e.g. if I were to ever implement an highlighter for
legacy ALAN 2 code, of if ALAN 4 were to be released at some point in the future.

Best regards,

Tristano Ajmone (Italy)
IFDB profile page:
http://ifdb.tads.org/search?searchfor=author+Ajmone
Alan 3 Syntax for Sublime Text:
https://github.com/tajmone/sublime-alan

Bruce Humphrey

May 26, 2021, 6:03:33 AM5/26/21
to ala...@googlegroups.com
Great job as usual, Tristano.

Hadn't heard about that Alan, seems interesting.

Best wishes

 Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance ” - P.Cotti