* * * Online Article on ALAN IF * * *

Tristano Ajmone

Sep 2, 2021, 5:00:27 AM9/2/21
to Alan-IF post message

Ciao!

I was recently given the opportunity to share my personal experience as a GitHub user,

by publishing an article on the GitHub Community's Monthly Roundup. So I took this

opportunity as a chance to talk about how I came across text adventures in my childhood,

during the home computers era, the great impact IF had on my life and the long lasting

love for the genre that ensued, and how thanks to GitHub I had a chance to join the ALAN

project and get involved again with Interactive Fiction.

Most importantly, I wanted to emphasize how important a role IF still plays today in the

realm of video games, for it's the only type of video games that are accessible to the

blind by design. Software and online services accessibility for the disabled is a very

important topic, which I value a lot, but unfortunately it's also a rather neglected

issue too.

I therefore hope that this short article I wrote will be able to raise awareness about

the importance of making software accessible, in general, and the value of IF in particular.

Hopefully, it might also revive the interest in IF for those of our generation who grew up

play IF in their childhood, many of whom might think that text adventures died along with

the end of Infocom, as many still do.

But most important for us, as a community, my hope is that this can be a reminder to all

of us of how important our work and dedication to ALAN is because, beside the intrinsic

beauty of text adventures, and the fun we enjoy writing and playing them, text adventures

are a precious legacy when it comes to video games accessibility — the open source rebirth

of Interactive Fiction has always focused on accessibility to the blind and visually impaired,

in a manner that is rarely seen in software development, even today.

We should all take pride of being part of this wonderful project, ALAN IF, and never forget

that — no matter how small a community we might be, and how niche a project ALAN might be —

this is a software with a strong ethical foundation, a legacy that is worth passing on to the

next generations, and that it's all about offering free tools by which people can create

beautiful works of fictions that can deliver hours of joyful entertainment to anyone — no one

excluded!

Here's the link to the article:

https://github.community/t/monthly-community-roundup-august/198777

I'd like to thank all the members of this community for having warmly welcomed me and given

me the chance to join ALAN and learn so many things about IF that I can barely count them.

Best regards,

Tristano Ajmone (Italy)

IFDB profile page:

http://ifdb.tads.org/search?searchfor=author+Ajmone

Alan 3 Syntax for Sublime Text:

https://github.com/tajmone/sublime-alan

Bruce Humphrey

Sep 2, 2021, 6:45:13 AM9/2/21
to ala...@googlegroups.com
Nice article!

Great job as usual, Tristano.

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿  ̿̿ ̿̿
 Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance ” - P.Cotti

Thomas Nilefalk

Sep 2, 2021, 7:45:40 AM9/2/21
to ala...@googlegroups.com
Tristano!

A very balanced and enjoyable article! Thank you for writing it and mentioning the Alan project!

/Thomas

Robert DeFord

Sep 2, 2021, 8:05:42 AM9/2/21
to 'Bruce Humphrey' via Alan IF discussions

Let me echo that:

It is indeed a great job, Tristano!

--
Robert DeFord

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved, living and
letting live, is the simple basis for it all."
Ernest Holmes 1984
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/alan-if/429239466.2612743.1630579509687%40mail.yahoo.com.