Alan Docs Format Inquiry

Christan Winslett

Jan 31, 2023, 8:27:36 PM1/31/23
to Alan IF discussions
Good evening from Texas, USA!

It's been a while since my last activity in the project, I do apologize for my extended absence.

I've resumed my effort to port the Alan Cookbook to Asciidoc recently and I am now about 50% done!

Also, I just so happened to use Asciidoc for a number of documents at work and I can now say that I am quite comfortable with the quirks of the format!

However, my experience leads me to wonder why certain design decisions were made in in the document style. Below is an example of what is used throughout the other documents:
  1. == Alan Doc Style

  2. [source,alan]
  3. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  4. The door IsA Door
  5.     Name door
  6. End The door.
  7. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  8. [NOTE]
  9. ==============================================================
  10. This is a very helpful note about Alan!
  11. ==============================================================

But the typical Asciidoc style would be:
  1. == Typical Asciidoc Style

  2. [source,alan]
  3. ----
  4. The door IsA Door
  5.     Name door
  6. End The door.
  7. ----

  8. NOTE: This is a very helpful note about Alan!

The former requires a lot of pasting and the lines distract heavily from the content, whereas the latter is very clean and it is easy to tell what each element is doing.

So I'm curious about why the former style is used as opposed to the latter, is there any particular reason for this preference?

Thanks,
C. Winslett