Alajuela 33

Christine E

Sep 19, 2023, 7:42:28 AM9/19/23
to Alajuelaboats
Hello All,

New to this group and have been skimming the threads as we are going to look at and, if all goes well, purchase an Alajuela 33 in a few days. We have also been mining the internet for what little nuggets of information we can find about these boats.  We would love to hear some first hand accounts from Ala 33 owners. What do you love about them? What do not like so much?

We will most likely be doing our own survey at her current price point so would appreciate any tips on things specific to these vessels to look for. We know blisters happen with many older boats and a few are fine but has anyone had severe blistering issues?  I read on another forum that there perhaps some issues with the chainplate tabbing. Do there seem to be any common problems that have popped up over the years?

We really love the lines and layout of these sailboats and hope to be aboard one soon. Thanks in advance for feedback!

Christine & Eric

Greg Campbell

Sep 19, 2023, 8:21:50 PM9/19/23
to Alajuelaboats
Hi Christine and Eric,
I own hull number 7, "Mico", based in Australia.  I've made some comments which might be helpful if you look up "The Alajuela 33, fifty years on" in the cruisers and sailing forum.  These boats were heavily built and I haven't heard of blistering being a problem.  Apart from the locker wall tabbing at the chainplates, one other item to check is the stainless waterline bobstay fitting. This has been known to suffer crevice corrosion or corrosion caused by stray current from poorly installed/maintained nav lights or anchor winch.  Since the fuel tank can't be drained, fuel problems have also been an issue, but easily rectified by simple steps.  If you buy a boat which has been unused for a while I'd strongly suggest you pump out and responsibly dispose of all the diesel and use a small suction pump, preferably guided by a tube camera, to get out any sludge sitting in the bottom of the tank.  Change the fuel filters, add Fuel Doctor or similar at the required rate to the new fuel, and for any periods you're not using the boat try and leave the fuel tank full to minimise condensation. We continue to enjoy extensive coastal cruising in "Mico" and happily live aboard for weeks and months - a real little jeep of the ocean.
Cheers
Greg

Christine E

Sep 19, 2023, 10:19:37 PM9/19/23
to Alajuelaboats
Thanks so much for the info and advice. I believe we may be getting hull number 6 if all goes well. She is definitely in need of a lot of cosmetic repair about which the current owner has been very forthcoming. We did already find and read your post in the cruisers and sailing forum which has been one of the most helpful nuggets. We also saw Mico in a YouTube video. Thanks again and we will update with the outcome.
Christine

Shaun Sims

Sep 20, 2023, 3:34:05 AM9/20/23
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg,

Saw your post to the couple in the states and wondered how you were travelling.

Ladybird is up on the slips at the moment getting some new antifouling, engines serviced and installing a prodder on the bow to get the spinnaker further out.

Just finished our second day returning home looking like chimney sweeps. Forgotten what a crappy time it is ha!

When we go back in the water we will be prepping for a sail down to Townsville where a couple we know will travel down on the train and meet us there. We then head 280 nm east into the coral sea to East Diamond Island. Then island hope back to Holmes Reef 210 nm east of Cairns. It will be a twelve day trip from East Diamond to Holmes.

I was unaware that there were atolls and islands that far out but they look fantastic and we’ll use it as a trial long distance run before we sail down to Sydney next year .

You can find info about cruising out there on youtube. It looks pretty impressive and sailing out from Townsville and then north means that we’ll have the SE behind us all the way.

Keep safe,

Kind regards,

Shaun & Robin

chewt...@bigpond.com

Sep 20, 2023, 4:17:25 AM9/20/23
to alajue...@googlegroups.com

Gidday Shaun,

Nice to hear from you and your sailing plans sound exciting.  I’ll check out the places you mention.

Mico is still parked down in Hobart, being looked after by one of my crew mates who lives there.  We tried a short winter cruise but things way too cold down there.  No wonder you see diesel heaters on most of the American boats.  Marie and I are next aboard in late November for 3 weeks poking about in the lovely sheltered nooks of south-eastern Tassie.  We’ll fly home for Christmas then in mid-January with two mates I’ll sail around the south and west, visiting Port Davey, Macquarie Harbour and King Island en route back to Adelaide.  That is the mildest time of year but big weather delays can still occur and things can change quickly so we’ll be well prepared.

Marie and I recently spent a week on Magnetic Island where I crewed on a mate’s race boat for MI Race Week.  Great sailing, although in very light airs for the week and we were a bit undercanvassed, especially downwind.  Last year in a bit more wind we came second in our division of 14 boats, but this year tied for fourth.  Hopefully back for another crack next year.

One of my crew you met at Yorkeys, Steve Francis, has bought a 40 foot Hansie at Pittwater and he and his wife have been getting stuff done to it and learning to sail it with the plan to head north next year.  I’ll probably do Sydney to Brisbane with them to get them into the cruising rhythm of it all, and then maybe a northern leg matching into MIRW. Broad plans at this point anyhow.

Say hi to Robyn and I hope you both enjoy the wilder waters of the reef.

Cheers

Greg

Christine E

Sep 29, 2023, 10:19:02 AM9/29/23
to Alajuelaboats
All went well and hull number 6 "2nd Wind" is officially ours!

Zak

Sep 30, 2023, 6:47:14 PM9/30/23
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know what became of the Alajuela 33 that recently sold on the Great Lakes?  I can't remember it's name, but it was something about music.  The boat was well equipped with a windvane and had been upgraded with a Yanmar.   I began watching that boat several years ago hoping it would still be available when I got close to retirement.  Unfortunately, I believe it sold during the covid period and I was just wondering if it still on the Great Lakes.

John Vallely

Oct 6, 2023, 9:17:55 PM10/6/23
to Alajuelaboats
I have a 33 built in '79. Never had blisters. As has been mentioned, the lower bobstay was badly corroded at the terminal and was the first thing I replaced when I bought the boat in '09. It's been pretty solid, and the chainplate tabbing hasn't been a problem in my case. The icebox had only 2" of poured insulation, which I later rebuilt with 4" when I added refrigeration. The deck scuppers are half-inch hoses running inside the hull to 90-degree L's at the waterline through-hulls, and they constantly plug up--not a major problem but the only regular problem that comes to mind. The hull design that makes them relatively fast also makes them a little more susceptible to rolling.  Expect to replace any original hoses by now. I also added a dedicated starter battery and an automatic charging relay. I've been able to make do with the original breaker panel but the original push-button breakers are no longer made so replacements won't match--again, not a huge deal. I ditched the rack and pinion steering in favor of a tiller, which is a little heavy but I like it better than a wheel. All in all it's a been pretty solid boat and it gets a fair amount of compliments at the dock.