Shaft Break

Jared Minard

Dec 19, 2021, 7:23:54 AM12/19/21
to Alajuelaboats
I just got a 38 foot Alajuela.  We are running the original Pisces Isuzu.  I am having problems with the shaft break ( yes shaft break).  The shaft has a break rotor and caliper.  I was bring the vessel into the ship yard for work and on the way over the break locked up.  We ended up opening the bleeder and draining the break fluid from the caliper and we were able to move on.  I have been unable to find any info on the break system.  I will upload some pictures in the morning.  I was hoping other owners have had similar systems on board.

Jared Minard

Dec 19, 2021, 7:05:46 PM12/19/21
to Alajuelaboats
shaft break 1.jpg

Jared Minard

Dec 19, 2021, 7:06:34 PM12/19/21
to Alajuelaboats
shaft break 2.jpg

Jared Minard

Dec 19, 2021, 7:07:03 PM12/19/21
to Alajuelaboats
shaftbreak 3 .jpg

Jared Minard

Dec 19, 2021, 7:07:49 PM12/19/21
to Alajuelaboats
shaftbreak 4.jpg

Jared Minard

Dec 19, 2021, 7:08:32 PM12/19/21
to Alajuelaboats
shaft break 4 .jpg

Palin

Jun 15, 2022, 2:00:12 PM6/15/22
to Alajuelaboats

I thought your shaft broke. You mean shaft “brake”. Sometimes shaft brakes are installed to prevent prop freewheeling while sailing as the spinning shaft can wear and tear on mechanical transmissions. Looks like you have the the original Borg-Warner hydraulic tranny which is completely unaffected by a freewheeling prop shaft. Don’t know why a previous owner would have installed that, other than to silence the shaft while underway - Not that it’s loud, especially on an A38 with no quarterberth in the vicinity. If you have a feathering prop the shaft won’t spin while sailing anyway.