Anchor chain for A38 Mk 1

Ryan Noble

Jul 20, 2021, 8:58:22 PM7/20/21
to Alajuelaboats
Hi gang,

Ryan, Ali, and Jellybean here from Wabi Sabi.  We have been living fulltime onboard for about 8 months now and are loving the boat.  We are wanting to upgrade/increase our anchor chain.  Wabi Sabi currently has 100' of 3/8" chain and 200' of rope for our primary anchor.  We found a good deal on new and longer chain and are wondering if anyone has put 300' of 3/8" chain in the anchor locker.  This comes out to 465 pounds of weight up front, plus the 65 pound anchor.  Should we be worried about bad hobbyhorsing with this much more weight up front?  It would add 300 pounds to what we are running now.  I'm thinking due to the weight of the boat it could work.  Our other option would to be go with 5/16" chain, but this would require a new gypsy which will be difficult way out in the Caribbean.

Thanks so much for the insight,
Ryan

ma...@matelot.com

Jul 20, 2021, 9:54:55 PM7/20/21
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
Pelican has 250ft of 5/16 with a 45lb CQR. However, I have 4x40lb lead bars in the lazarette. One other item: I replaced the 2 8Ds located behind the engine with 2 banks of 12v AGM batteries either side of the Yanmar 4.  I do very little sailing  now but ive been out in some rough stuff and found no sign of ‘hobby horsing’. I have a Nilsson windlass.  BTW, when anchoring I clip 5/8 rope with a chain hook on to the Kranze iron

Doug

Sam Stone

Jul 21, 2021, 12:05:56 AM7/21/21
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
Look into G70 chain - lighter and stronger

Sam

Sent from ProtonMail mobile