Posting Problem

Steve Coleman

Sep 4, 2022, 2:17:19 PM9/4/22
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I'm a member of Alajuelaboats Google Group. I'd like to post a question to the group but am unable to find the "new conversation" icon. I'm using an android phone. I own an Ingrid 38, grandfather of the Alajuela 38. I'm considering adding a Rocna or Mantus to the anchoring arsenal but not sure if it will work because of the half-circle arch possibly making contact with the bowsprit. Wondering if any Alajuela 38 owners are using one of these anchors. Thanks if you can help. Hope you don't object to an Ingrid owner posting on your page. There is an Ingrid 38 page on Facebook but it's not very active....
Cheers,
Steve

Dennis Wilcoxon

Sep 4, 2022, 3:21:53 PM9/4/22
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve and all,
I'm Dennis Wilcoxon. I started the group many years ago with a list from the decommissioned sail.net group. I sold my A38, Maya, a few years ago and still miss her. I moderate the group so that bad things don't come through and I assure you there have been attempts.

I used a Spade on Maya which was a Mark I It had a wooden bowsprit which you most likely have on your Ingred. There was no problem with clearance but the Spade didn't have a roll bar. The newer version of the Mantus and Rocna have abandoned the roll bar also I think. But even with a roll bar the anchor could be "chocked" by hooking it on the bob stay. I did that often daysailing inshore. Offshore I'd bring it up or even on deck.

Of course you can post to our group. Ingreds are sister ships which makes you a brother owner.
Welcome,
Dennis
S/V Colleen
Cambria 44

Doug Asbe

Sep 4, 2022, 9:32:50 PM9/4/22
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
We bought a Vulcan anchor because of issue with the roll bar.

Doug Asbe
SV Leigh Ann

Trevor Robertson

Sep 4, 2022, 10:58:06 PM9/4/22
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
I have a 33kg Vulcan on Iron Bark III which stows neatly under the bowsprit, but I did have to build a new set of rollers as the standard one is not robust enough for that anchor. The Vulcan holds well in a variety of bottoms, will generally work its way through kelp and resets reliably on a windshift. The one thing it will not hold in is in coarse glacial till such as is often behind the eyis in Iceland, but then I don't know of an anchor that will hold in that sort of bottom.

Before the Vulcan became available, I built a roller system that allowed a 60lb Manson Supreme with its rollbar to stow below the bowsprit on IB2. It was quite expensive in materials and took a bit of doing. Now the Vulcan is available, I would not bother.

I am lying to the Vulcan in Bantry Bay and it is blowing a gale with squalls to 50kts or more and the anchor has not budged (but it is a good mud bottom and not much sea finds its way into the nook where I am anchored). The Vulcan may not set quite as quickly as the SPADE but it is cheaper and more robust and its ultimate holding is probably as good. For my purposes.the Spade is too fragile. I had one on IB2 and had to abandon it after 4 years because it was corroded to the point where it was unreliable. The hollow shank is very strong as manufactured but has no margin for wastage. The unsealed lead in the tip resulted in rapid electrolysis in tropical water temperatures which badly weakened the anchor. For a vessel that always  lies to its own gear (no marinas or moorings), I think the Vulcan is a better bet, especially in warm water.

There is nothing like an anchor debate to make sailors dogmatic, but I have used most of the generally available anchors and am firmly in favour of the new generation of sugar scoop anchors. I hope never to have to use a plow anchor again.

Cheers
Trevor
Iron Bark III, Glengarriff, Bantry Bay, Ireland

On Sunday, September 4, 2022, Steve Coleman <steve.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
I'm a member of Alajuelaboats Google Group. I'd like to post a question to the group but am unable to find the "new conversation" icon. I'm using an android phone. I own an Ingrid 38, grandfather of the Alajuela 38. I'm considering adding a Rocna or Mantus to the anchoring arsenal but not sure if it will work because of the half-circle arch possibly making contact with the bowsprit. Wondering if any Alajuela 38 owners are using one of these anchors. Thanks if you can help. Hope you don't object to an Ingrid owner posting on your page. There is an Ingrid 38 page on Facebook but it's not very active....
Cheers,
Steve

Trevor Robertson
Yacht Iron Bark

Steve Coleman

Sep 5, 2022, 1:00:02 PM9/5/22
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
A BIG "Thank You" for the good info to Dennis, Trevor and Doug. I see a 33kg Vulcan in our future. Primary anchor is currently a 65lb CQR. It has dragged on us a few times. It's always reset itself but in tight quarters, it makes me a little nervous.

ma...@matelot.com

Sep 5, 2022, 1:20:32 PM9/5/22
to Alajuelaboats
Hi Folks, I'm still alive and kicking with Pelican

I replaced my 45lb 'knock off CQR' sometime ago and replaced it with a Rocna.  The knuckle on the CGR was damaging the teak. The few times I've used the Rocna has been in mud and it held well in a 4.  I've Attached a coup[le of pix to see how it's stowed.  The windlass is a Niilsen with a 'dogging' pawl set.
Cheers
Doug
Pelican

IMG_6924.jpg