A33 engine bed replacement

andy hall

Feb 24, 2022, 6:22:14 PM2/24/22
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
I am replacing the engine bed in my A33.  Years ago the original Isuzu died and was replaced with a Yanmar 3GM30F.  The Yanmar would not fit on the Isuzu bed so the entire bed liner was cut out and a new bed was built up on the hull.  The Yanmar bed needs to be replaced.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this?  My concern is the stern section of the bed needs to be fairly thin due to the height of the Yanmar mounts.  When the engine sits flush on the mount, the base of the mount is about 1/2" from the hull.  Even if i move the engine forward i only gain small amount of space.

I can think of two options, neither of which i like. 1. Use a non-Yanmar engine mount that is not as tall.  This would give me more room between the base of the mount and the hull allowing me to build up the engine bed. 2. Slide the engine further forward. To gain enough room under the stern mount i would have to move the engine forward outside the engine compartment by about 2" which would require modifications of the floor and engine compartment cover.

The previous bed was Oak embedded in epoxy with a 1/2" steel runner throughbolted to the bed. The engine mounts were bolted to the steel runner. It worked well for 20 years but over time the stern portion of the 1/2" thick steel runner worked itself loose because there was very little bed in which to secure it.

Thanks for any ideas folks may have.

Andy

Shaun Sims

Feb 24, 2022, 6:36:37 PM2/24/22
to alajue...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from Oz,

The original engine on our 33 was replaced by an Iveco diesel and when we purchased Mico we were mortified by the noise and vibration when under engine.

It wasn't long before we discovered the reason.

The previous owners couldn't fit the larger Iveco 30 in the space without removing the vessels flexible mounts. The simply bolted it directly onto the engine bed. Coupled with a non folding two bladed prop the cavitation and subsequent vibration was enough to remove your teeth.

We removed the Iveco and had a very savvy engineer fabricate a ‘cradle’ which went under the Iveco and looped up either-side with its four arms then coming up and over new flexible mounts.

We change the prop for a feathering 3 blader and it the engine ran as smooth as silk.

Dm us for the plans and photos.

Unfortunately we sold our 33 and moved to a CSY 46 and then moved to the dark-side and now sail a Cat but we always loved our A33 which took us all around Austaralia the Pacific and SE Asia.

A few month back we were fortunate to meet up with Mico’s current owner when we sailed our Cat down to the Whitsundays. Mico is still looking as beautiful as ever and the engine is still running with not a bit of vibration.

Kind regards,

Shaun