Flooding Updates: Governor's State Declaration

Jenni Ragland

May 14, 2023, 3:18:06 PM5/14/23
to akv...@googlegroups.com, Arctic Training Center, 2bb...@gmail.com, Mccann, Erin, Stovall, Joseph C, Dave Kuiper, Jim Baldwin, bryan.c...@redcross.org, Robert Russell, bode...@gmail.com, kevind...@gmail.com, Mimzy Wellberg, Lesli Remaly, rbrit...@sprynet.com, Ramsey, John C (MVA, Tonnessen, Britt, Clarice Esquilla, Rachel Alford, desiree....@alaska.gov, Reg...@mds.org, Steve Wiest, Wood, Teresa, Daniel Wilcox, Becky Stoppa, Gary Bearce, Boatman, Bethny, Jim Kincaid, Halawa-Bill Watson, mds.cent...@gmail.com, li...@alaskasilc.org, vikki....@teamrubiconusa.org, Chandler Alford, Daniel Wilcox, Susan Davis, Kevin Pope, Kevin Bottjen, Shevaun Malone

Good morning, all

Just sending a couple of the most recent updates regarding flooding.

  • There has been flooding in multiple communities, with sheltering primarily being supported by the community, tribal organizations and Red Cross.
    Water has begun to recede in some areas, but break up is still on-going and potential for flooding is on-going. (pictures above from Circle)
  • Teams continue to fly River Watch and the State EOC and Red Cross has deployed personnel to Glenallen with some supplies and to get a better understanding of the situation.
  • At the present time there are NO unmet Mass Care needs.
  • Attached above is copy of break up summary, as an FYI.

Governor’s Declaration:

At 2220 Saturday, May 13, Governor Dunleavy verbally declared a State Disaster Emergency in response to significant and widespread flooding impacting the following Regional Education Attendance Areas (REAA) and Communities:

Alaska Gateway REAA (City and Native Village of Eagle)

Yukon Flats REAA (Circle)

Kuspuk REAA (Crooked Creek)

Copper River REAA (Glennallen)

Each community has experienced, or is currently experiencing moderate to severe flooding caused by ice jams or rapid snowmelt.

The Governor’s declaration activates the State Emergency Operations Plan, and authorizes the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) to task, as necessary, State Agencies to assist with disaster and emergency response operations.  The declaration also activates the State Public Assistance Program, which assists communities with emergency protective measures including flood fighting and sheltering, and assists communities with temporary and permanent repairs to damaged public infrastructure.

The SEOC, Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Alaska Department of Public Safety/Alaska State Troopers, Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, and the American Red Cross have been assisting communities throughout the day.

Regional entities including AHTNA, Yukon Kuskokwim Health Corporation, Tanana Chiefs Conference, and the Association of Village Council Presidents are coordinating through the SEOC to provide support to the communities and individuals impacted.

The SEOC will continue conducting the Riverwatch Program along with the National Weather Service Alaska-Pacific River Forecast Center to provide additional warnings to communities that may threatened be threatened by ice-jam or snowmelt induced flooding.

As water recedes in communities experience flooding, initial damage assessments will be conducted to determine the scope of damages, and additional State disaster recovery programs will be activated if warranted.

Blessings,

Jenni Ragland

Service Extension & Emergency Disaster Services Director

The Salvation Army Alaska Division

907-339-3440

https://alaska.salvationarmy.org

From: "Roberts, Mark W (MVA)" <mark.r...@alaska.gov>