Using compile-to-JS languages

dxgriffiths

Mar 25, 2011, 3:16:48 AM3/25/11
to akshell
Hi guys,

One thing I've been working on myself that I'd love to see in Akshell
is the ability to open "dual-language" files containing exported
JavaScript interlaced with compile-to-JS languages like CoffeeScript.
Same goes for compile-to-CSS languages like Stylus.

I have my own language, JS11, that I use and a custom editor that
recognises the interlacing signature allowing me top open .js files
but only see/edit the custom JS11 code (also works for CoffeeScript).

Having this sort of capability along with custom syntax highlighting
would make Akshell a definite sell for me. Am definitely willing to
donate my Source Cloak and JS11 compiler code to the project to help
make this sort of a feature reality.

David

Oleg Podsechin

Mar 25, 2011, 3:19:02 AM3/25/11
to aks...@googlegroups.com, dxgriffiths
That sounds very intriguing. Do you have a screencast or demo we could
take a look at?

dxgriffiths

Mar 25, 2011, 4:35:16 AM3/25/11
to akshell
Hiya,

I uploaded two short videos:

http://gallery.me.com/griffiths/100026

The first shows JS11 code being edited in the browser, with nice CSS
formatted keywords and comments, interlacing and compile-to-JS
language selectors, and a preview function. What your seeing is an
actual .js file that can be edited and saved in either JS11 or
CoffeeScript. In whitespace mode, the true source code is encoded as
Unicode whitespace characters, and in comments mode it's encoded as
JavaScript comments. Every time you save, new JS gets compiled and
that is the "content" of the file.

http://gallery.me.com/griffiths/100042

The second shows what it's like to use the in-place compiler in Coda's
regular editing mode. I prefer the web editor because upper case
keywords really work for me, but this flow is fine also.

David

Anton Korenyushkin

Mar 25, 2011, 5:24:22 AM3/25/11
to aks...@googlegroups.com
Here at Akshell we firmly believe in open source. Our MVC framework is open, our engine will be open soon. Our infrastructure is totally based on open source software. And we use Ace http://ace.ajax.org/ as an editor in our IDE. The functionality you want should be implemented there. It'd be a big win for everybody: we'd be able to edit JavaScript and CSS embedded in an HTML file. Unfortunately now we don't have time to work on this, but if you're interested, you should join the Ace development.

--
Anton Korenyushkin
www.akshell.com

dxgriffiths

Mar 25, 2011, 9:17:08 PM3/25/11
to akshell
Thanks for the response, that's good advice.