Remoting With Artery

Joseph Mansigian

May 16, 2020, 8:42:48 AM5/16/20
to Akka User List
This is a good question for Lightbend staff.  Remoting with artery is entirely sufficient for what I am building.  When start up I get warnings not to use it but to use clustering instead.
I find this surprising because at the time of the warnings my use case is not even known.  My question is does anyone know if Lightbend is on a path to deprecating Artery
or making it private; forcing all remote message to take place with clustering?

Brian Maso

May 16, 2020, 4:18:39 PM5/16/20
to akka...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if anyone from Lightbend still monitors this list? There's a pretty active community at gitter.im/akka/akka

Brian Maso

** New discussion forum: https://discuss.akka.io/ replacing akka-user google-group soon.
** This group will soon be put into read-only mode, and replaced by discuss.akka.io
** More details: https://akka.io/blog/news/2018/03/13/discuss.akka.io-announced

Patrik Nordwall

May 17, 2020, 2:24:42 AM5/17/20
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Artery will not be deprecated. There could be use cases for using it directly without Akka Cluster, but we have seen too many invalid usages that we had to guide users away from it if they don’t know about the limitations and consequences.

It’s especially remote death watch and remote deployment that we recommend against without Cluster. Also using it for client-server setup is not how it is intended to be used.

If you have more questions we can continue at

/Patrik

--

Patrik Nordwall
Akka Tech Lead