[Akara - Support #1229] (New) Set up nightly builds of Amara and Akara

1 view

red...@foundry.zepheira.com

Jan 15, 2011, 11:51:57 AM1/15/11
Issue #1229 has been reported by Uche Ogbuji.

Support #1229: Set up nightly builds of Amara and Akara
http://foundry.zepheira.com/issues/1229

Author: Uche Ogbuji
Assigned to: Uche Ogbuji
Category:
Target version:

We try to provide nightly builds of these projects from trunk for those who want to install it without git or hg. Right now these are hosted on WebFaction, but the script is dead because files.akara.info is dead (see related issue). You can see how important these nightlies are from their prominent mention in Amara install docs:

http://www.xml3k.org/Amara/Install

As part of the general process of Zepheira's leadership of these projects, we should set up the nightly build scripts more solidly, probably in conjunction with hosting akara.info.

Right now the script is at: http://www.xml3k.org/Akara/Dev/Packaging/Nightlies

It's just a shell script, to be run by cron to:

* Pull amara & akara from hg trunk
* Run the build (C compiler etc. required)
* copy to an FTP/WebDAV/Web file list location, with a datestamp in the filename
* Update a symlink to the latest

First part of this is to figure out the best machine to host such a script, and the resulting files, so I've assigned to Simon for his wisdom.

As for the script itself, I wonder if it's better managed through Fabric somehow. I think it's fine to move from shell to anything else if it helps robustness and maintainability. I've added David as a watcher for his thoughts on that.

To change your notification preferences, please click here: http://foundry.zepheira.com/my/account

red...@foundry.zepheira.com

Jan 15, 2011, 11:56:24 AM1/15/11
Issue #1229 has been updated by Uche Ogbuji.

Assigned to changed from Uche Ogbuji to Simon J. Hernandez

Author: Uche Ogbuji

Assigned to: Simon J. Hernandez

red...@foundry.zepheira.com

Jan 17, 2011, 1:55:36 AM1/17/11
Issue #1229 has been updated by David Feeney.

Rather than a nightly build, I'd suggest a build on each push to github. Setting this up has been on my todo list for a while, and in fact, I set up something similar for freemix on Friday, published to http://pypi.zepheira.com/releases/.

As things stand, this would just be a matter of adding a sdist build to the existing hudson task and scp'ing the result to the destination. That said, I'm thinking of separating the packaging step from the unit test run so that, for example, akara unit tests can be run when amara is updated without repackaging the 'official' release.

If this is an acceptable scheme, the only worry I have is version numbering. Would it be acceptable to overwrite lib/version.py on each build?

Author: Uche Ogbuji

Assigned to: Simon J. Hernandez

red...@foundry.zepheira.com

Jan 19, 2011, 1:34:03 PM1/19/11
Issue #1229 has been updated by Simon J. Hernandez.

Status changed from New to Assigned
% Done changed from 0 to 10
Estimated time set to 2.00

Sorry for the delay.

It would seem the akarainfo.zepheira.com host would be ideal for this if we re-sized it a bit to accommodate the new files. If you wish, I can schedule to do this soon. Any idea how much memory the build process requires? I am guessing disk is not a major consideration.

Please advise.

Author: Uche Ogbuji

Assigned to: Simon J. Hernandez