Extra line break with xslt processor

Luis Miguel Morillas

Aug 3, 2012, 1:11:31 PM8/3/12
to akar...@googlegroups.com, Uche Ogbuji
I'm working with this xslt transform http://paste2.org/p/2093093 The
result of the processor is http://paste2.org/p/2093095 I think
amara's xslt processor adds line feeds. Is it ok? The result with
xsltproc is http://paste2.org/p/2093096

Is it a bug or is something wrong with the stylesheet (or I'm I not
understandig it :-P)

Regards,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

Uche Ogbuji

Aug 5, 2012, 5:08:58 PM8/5/12
to akar...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Luis Miguel Morillas <mori...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm working with this xslt transform http://paste2.org/p/2093093  The
result of the processor is http://paste2.org/p/2093095  I think
amara's xslt processor adds line feeds. Is it ok? The result with
xsltproc is http://paste2.org/p/2093096

Is it a bug or is something wrong with the stylesheet (or I'm I not
understandig it :-P)

I'd hoped to find time to delve into the code here, but I think what's happening is not that amara is adding linebreaks but that it's not applying the xsl:strip-space command. Out of curiosity, if you remove that, does the xsltproc result match the Amara result?

Even though this one might be an Amara bug, in general xsltproc is a very bad processor to use to figure out correct behavior. Its standards compliance is rather poor.  It's better to compare to Saxon.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Weblog: http://copia.ogbuji.net

Luis Miguel Morillas

Aug 5, 2012, 7:16:49 PM8/5/12
to akar...@googlegroups.com
2012/8/5 Uche Ogbuji <uc...@ogbuji.net>:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Luis Miguel Morillas <mori...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working with this xslt transform http://paste2.org/p/2093093 The
>> result of the processor is http://paste2.org/p/2093095 I think
>> amara's xslt processor adds line feeds. Is it ok? The result with
>> xsltproc is http://paste2.org/p/2093096
>>
>> Is it a bug or is something wrong with the stylesheet (or I'm I not
>> understandig it :-P)
>

> I'd hoped to find time to delve into the code here, but I think what's
> happening is not that amara is adding linebreaks but that it's not applying
> the xsl:strip-space command. Out of curiosity, if you remove that, does the
> xsltproc result match the Amara result?
>
> Even though this one might be an Amara bug, in general xsltproc is a very
> bad processor to use to figure out correct behavior. Its standards
> compliance is rather poor. It's better to compare to Saxon.

Ok. This is the Saxon result with xsl:strip-space command [1] I think
Amara's not running ok the xsl:strip-space command (same result as
Saxon without xsl:strip-space command) I'll investigate better
tomorrow with other tests.

[1] http://paste2.org/p/2095676

-- lm