ACCENTURE

Rana Bose

Jul 26, 2011, 6:49:23 PM7/26/11
to akankha_newtown, hila...@googlegroups.com, New Town (Rajarhat) Kolkata, bengal-sureka-s...@googlegroups.com, rh...@yahoogroups.com, bengal-dc...@googlegroups.com
Global giant to expand in state: Minister
OUR BUREAU

Global management consultant and technology services major Accenture wants to scale up its operations in Bengal and recruit 10,000-15,000 professionals in a few years, state industries and IT minister Partha Chatterjee said on Tuesday.

The government has asked Accenture representatives to submit its expansion plan.

Accenture representatives could not be contacted for comment.

The minister was speaking after meeting Avinash Vashishtha, the company’s chairman and country managing director, and Sunil Gupta, vice-president, corporate and public policy affairs.

Chatterjee also held a meeting with Nasscom representatives, including chairman R.S. Pawar.

“Accenture has been operating out of Calcutta for sometime and are now keen to expand its presence. They have plans to come here in a big way and recruit 10,000-15,000 IT professionals in a few years. We have asked them to submit their proposals,” Chatterjee said.

Around 400 professionals are working in Accenture’s Calcutta office and another 600 are likely to join by the Puja.

Government sources said Accenture’s decision, following Infosys chief mentor N.R. Narayana Murthy’s nod to help draw an IT roadmap for the state, will boost efforts to realise Mamata Banerjee’s dream of reviving industry in Bengal.

Early this year, Accenture had opened its technology deliverance centre in Rajarhat, a part of the IT giant’s global delivery network. This is the company’s 25th such centre in the country.

Chatterjee is also upbeat about Nasscom playing a bigger role in developing the city’s IT sector. In his interaction with the Nasscom chairman, Chatterjee said the state government was keen on setting up clusters for small and medium businesses (SMB) in IT, which will give them the benefit of sharing infrastructure and bring down operational costs.

“This approach will support small IT companies. The state government will also try and increase the venture capital corpus to support start-ups,” said Chatterjee.

The existing corpus of Rs 10 crore, he stressed, is not enough.

The state government has sought Nasscom’s help for assessing the market environment and capacity building. Chatterjee said Nasscom had shown interest in helping the government spread cellphone services in rural areas

“We are keen on using mobile phone technology to reach out to the villagers,” Chatterjee said.

The minister also said the government was planning to set up IT hubs in Durgapur, Asansol, Siliguri, Haldia, Bankura and Barjora.

, state commerce, industry and IT Minister, Mr Partha Chatterjee, said here on Tuesday. There is plan to strengthen computerization of land records and that of the commercial tax office. “We want to introduce e-file and e-office. There will be less paper on the table,” the minister said.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110727/jsp/calcutta/story_14293318.jsp

Rupam Paul

Jul 28, 2011, 1:35:35 PM7/28/11
to akankha...@googlegroups.com