stored grades

Marsha Sandhofer

Jun 6, 2024, 12:49:10 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
Good morning.  This is a desperation attempt, but I wondered if anyone has any experience with this type of issue.  When I stored grades I accidentally did not mark the box to "not store for classes that were dropped before a certain date".  So I realize that I am going to see historical grades that really should not be there.
My issue is that the grades that are there do make sense.  For instance the student who's records I have attached was in one section of World History for one day in Q3.  He was then dropped from that section and put into a different one.  But when I stored grades, he received a duplicate grade for Q4.  I don't understand where Powerschool pulled that from.  I could kind of understand if he had a Q3 duplicate since he was actually enrolled during that Quarter. But how could he get a Q4 grade for both sections when he wasn't ever in that section during Q4?  The teacher would not have had access to enter any grade in Q4 for that other section.
I have tried to get some sort of answer from our guy at Phoenix Learning but have had no success.  So I am throwing this out here in hopes that someone has some shred of experience with this issue.

Thank you and have a great summer!
Marsha

--
Marsha Sandhofer
High School & Athletic Information Clerk

Marsha Sandhofer

Jun 6, 2024, 1:21:07 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you to the moon and back Kyle!!! You are our hero!

The Chad

Jun 6, 2024, 2:11:23 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Marsha,

Can I ask what Kyle's suggested solution was? Just in case I run into the same thing in the future.

Marsha Sandhofer

Jun 6, 2024, 2:17:52 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
He was able to delete all the grades I had stored so I could start from scratch, making sure I did it correctly this time!

Gunderson, Megan

Jun 6, 2024, 2:58:14 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
Kyle has helped Valdez several times this year with stored grades woes much like this exact example.

Kyle, if you ever want to run a 'How to Store Grades the Right Way, and How to Fix Common Grade Storing Mistakes When You Do It the Wrong Way' training session for AK districts, VCS will sign up a half dozen attendees immediately. ;)

--
photo

Megan Gunderson, M.S., M.Ed.
Director of Technology, Valdez City Schools

907-834-4716  |  www.valdezcityschools.org

mgund...@valdezcityschools.org

PO Box 398, 1112 West Klutina Drive  |  Valdez, Alaska

Kyle Schneider

Jun 6, 2024, 3:40:58 PMJun 6
to 'Kyle Schneider' via AK PSUG
I was just kicking around the idea of trying to start a paid webinar style training series next year, beginning with a stored grades session in early October. I feel weird advertising via the AK PSUG mailing list though since I (albeit minimally) help run it, and abhor the idea of spamming people with sales emails, so almost immediately dropped it.

If there’s interest though, I’m happy to ponder it a bit more and see if I can think of a way to advertise in a way that doesn’t feel gross (or maybe I’m wrong and people wouldn’t mind it here).

Since I’m already sending a sales adjacent email to the list in response to your message, I will mention that another consultant (who is on the list and can jump in if he wants his name attached to this) and I were very tentatively kicking around the idea of a PowerSchool mini-conference in Anchorage during the couple days leading up to ASTE. (Changes with ASTE registration over the last couple years make it difficult for me to affordably donate my time to run training sessions - when it cost me $2,000 to fly up and present, it stung the pocketbook a bit, but when I looked at the registration model last year, it was going to cost closer to $3,000, which is family vacation level money.)

P.S. My daughter’s favorite princess is Rapunzel and she really enjoyed getting to meet her this past February.

Kyle Schneider
GSD Educational Services
Desk: 907-917-4149
Cell: 802-281-8430
ky...@gsded.com

Marsha Sandhofer

Jun 6, 2024, 3:46:48 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
Meeting princesses is definitely something you should not sacrifice!

Jamie Burgess

Jun 6, 2024, 4:13:12 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
Kyle - if you were willing to host your own mini-academy on PowerSchool in some place like Anchorage, I bet you would get a good response.  PowerSchool University is incredibly expensive and requires out of state travel, so districts would likely be willing to send more folks to Anchorage. If you had a couple of other people you knew who were very knowledgeable in different areas, so you could have breakout sessions, or different days for different foci, that would be amazing.  Small districts don't always have a SIS expert, and large districts have a lot of folks involved with SIS who would also love training, so regardless the appeal would be broad.  Perhaps ASD would be willing to let you use space?  Or perhaps if you reach out and partner with ACSA or AASB, they could help facilitate.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 11:40 AM 'Kyle Schneider' via AK PSUG <ak-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

--
Thanks.

Jamie S. Burgess
Superintendent, Nome Public Schools
907-443-6191

Shannon Cochran

Jun 6, 2024, 4:19:13 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
I would also be happy to help present and come to Alaska.

Shannon
TRC Educational Services

Brandon Shilson

Jun 6, 2024, 9:00:52 PMJun 6
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Kyle,

Just wanted to throw my name out as the 'other consultant' who was kicking around this idea with you. I think running a day or two of training with many different types of powerschool sessions focused on what people are most interested in would be ideal and having it around the ASTE time would help people with travel costs.

Looking forward to exploring this more with you.

Cheers,
Brandon

--
Sincerely,

Brandon Shilson
PowerSchool Consultant
cell: 613-451-7700

Mara Lutomski

Jun 7, 2024, 12:47:57 PMJun 7
to AK PSUG
I think this would be a great idea and I could see our district sending a person or two, perhaps even annually. I think it would be great adjacent to ASTE or even at a different time during the year!

Mara

Ranel Gandia

Jun 11, 2024, 2:28:06 PMJun 11
to ak-...@googlegroups.com

I also agree this is a great idea and what our District has been really looking for.

Thank you,

Ranel S. Gandia

Student Records Manager
North Slope Borough School District

Office: (907) 852-9689

Fax: (907) 852-9659

Email Address: ranel....@nsbsd.org

signature_1211705741signature_253722416

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT:  This email message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or any of its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender.

Director of Technology, Valdez City Schools