Present, tardy, absent

Robin Gage

Aug 30, 2023, 4:05:56 PM8/30/23
to AK PSUG

Student attendance has become a bigger focus for us this year, and we are looking at ways to improve it. Clearly defining what is present, tardy, and absent is one of the first steps.

The line between tardy and absent for us depends on the age of the student. From our handbook:

How do you define present, tardy, or absent? Thanks for your time!

--

Robin Gage

District Test Coordinator/PowerSchool Admin

Northwest Arctic Borough School District

907-442-1833

www.nwarctic.org

Nathan McArthur

Aug 30, 2023, 7:54:32 PM8/30/23
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
We do present before class starts. Tardy 30 min after class starts. Absent is anytime after that. Our district is unique as we only have two attendance periods per day, Morning and Afternoon. So take it or leave it.

Thanks,

Nathan McArthur
EdTech/Teacher
LPSD Alaska

Marsha Sandhofer

Aug 31, 2023, 2:30:09 PM8/31/23
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
At PHS we have quite a few.  I have attached a screenshot.
If kids are not in their seats when the bell rings, the teachers mark them "absent".  If they show up later with a tardy slip, the teachers may change their attendance to "tardy" - but most times that it falls on the office to make that change.  We use "aggravated tardy" for those who are more than 10 minutes late for class - that is to notate that they are considered "absent" for attendance count purposes, but it lets everyone know that the kid is in our building and accounted for.  We use "office assigned" in those instances where a student is meeting with a counselor, etc. It lets everyone know that even though they are not in the class they are assigned to, we know where they are and don't have to go looking for them.
We are tossing around the idea of adding yet another code!  If a student's absence does not meet the Legal definition of an "Excused" absence, we mark it Unexcused.  But then the parent sees it and calls to complain that it should be excused because they called it in.  So we are toying with the idea of having a 3rd absence category that would indicate the parent excused the child, but the absence does not meet the requirement for a Legal absence.
Sorry if this is too much information!

Marsha Sandhofer
Petersburg High School

--
Marsha Sandhofer
High School & Athletic Information Clerk

The Chad

Aug 31, 2023, 6:55:56 PM8/31/23
to ak-...@googlegroups.com
Present: There are the start of class.

7.1 Absences:
With the exception of school participation absences, every absence,
whether excused or unexcused, is considered an absence, including but not limited to,
illness(es) and family trips. The principal or his/her designee will contact the student's
parent/guardian regarding each unexcused absence.
a. School Participation Absences are defined as absences due to organized,
chaperoned, school- related activity. The following criteria must be met to
qualify for excused pre-planned absences:
1. Student must have a "C" average at the time of the requested absence.
2. Student must be passing in all classes.
3. Student must have the written approval of all his/her teachers.
4. A checkout form must be signed by the student's parent/caretaker after
all of the student's teachers have signed the form and indicated the
present grade.
5. The completed checkout form must be turned in to the attendance
secretary at least three (3) days prior to the first day of the requested
absence.
b. Excused Absences are defined as absences due to illness(es) or family
emergencies.
c. Unexcused Absences include but are not limited to:
1. Truancy (all or part of the day)
2. Suspension

7.2 Tardies:
 A tardy is defined as being ten (10) minutes or less late to class. (Late arrival
of eleven (11) or more minutes is recorded as an absence, but counts as a tardy in
PowerSchool.)
7.2.1 Tier 1: Student averages less than 1 tardy per week
1. No action taken by administration
7.2.2 Tier 2: Student averages 1 or more tardy per week BUT 1 or fewer tardies per day
1. Conference with student
2. Contact with parent/caretaker
7.2.3 Tier 3: Student averages more than 1 tardy per day
1. Contact with parent/caretaker
2. Behavior contract between student and administrator
3. Removal from District-sponsored activities/athletics for a maximum of five
(5) school days.

Collin Lasley

Sep 1, 2023, 2:26:57 PM9/1/23
to AK PSUG
In Fairbanks, we have board policies regarding this, but we actually have laws at the borough level as well:
Fairbanks North Star Borough Code Title 9: Public Peace, Morals, and Welfare
Chapter 16: Compulsory Attendance
Section 20: Days of Absence.

Days of unlawful absence shall be calculated as follows:

     1. Elementary Students.

          a. Partial-Day Absence. A student who misses more than 60 minutes of the school day shall be marked absent for one-half of that day unless excused by the school.

          b. Full Day Absence. A student who is absent for more than one-half of the school day unless excused by the school.

     2. Secondary Students.

          a. Class Absence. A secondary student who arrives more than 10 minutes after the start of the class, who is absent for the class period, or who leaves the class more than 10 minutes before the end of class shall be marked absent for the class unless excused by the school.

          b. Full Day Absence. A secondary student shall be marked as absent for a full day as set out below unless excused by the school:

               i. A secondary student who is absent for 50 percent or more of their scheduled classes for a single day; or

               ii. A secondary student who incurs three single class absences not occurring on the same day.