Ajax chat and Scalability?

Ingrid Sedé

Feb 25, 2014, 1:54:20 PM2/25/14
to ajax...@googlegroups.com
What would be the max concurrent users on the chat on a shared hosting environment?
Can you just scale the hardware and services up for more users or are there application specific matters to take in account?

Frug

Feb 25, 2014, 4:25:41 PM2/25/14
to ajax...@googlegroups.com
This gets asked a lot. Solid numbers are obviously impossible to give but around 20-30 users seems normal for decent shared hosts. Normal use seems to be more like 10-20.

It will scale up like anything else, but I've never heard of anyone managing over 100. A while back we had a heavy user who managed I think 60 or 80.

This is not the best chat for large scale use because the socket feature isn't currently working and that's what you want, because 100 people polling a server every 3 seconds minimum is not a great situation.

Ingrid Sedé

Feb 26, 2014, 10:12:32 AM2/26/14
to ajax...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thank you for the reply. You say that the Socket-feature is not currently working? I'm not utilizing it right now because it involves starting piece of server-something and my guess is that it will not be allowed by my hostingprovider unless i'm migrate to a vps. That, of course can be done very rapidly if needed but the use of the socket feature is needed than as you will understand.

They are working on a working version?

Frug

Feb 26, 2014, 11:59:11 AM2/26/14
to ajax...@googlegroups.com
You'd need a vps to run any sort of a socket, yeah. It allows the server to push messages to clients when new messages arrive, as opposed to the clients polling the server on regular (default 3 second) intervals.

It's not working because of a minor bug, and I can't really fix it quickly because I don't know how to use the technologies involved. In the future we'll probably release a new one that uses something called node.js on the server, but there are other things to do before then so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ingrid Sedé

Feb 26, 2014, 4:01:13 PM2/26/14
to ajax...@googlegroups.com
Ok, i accidentally  stumbled upon this thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ajax-chat/0-tO0sBCBNo wich tells me there's some good work going on on the matter.
:-)
And i wasn't aware of the fact that you are (the or one of the) developers of this great chat application which you are sharing with us.
Very good work and much appreciated!!