Channels

Electron...@Yahoo.com

Nov 23, 2020, 4:06:50 PM11/23/20
to AJAX-chat
I noticed that with Ajax Chat there is a means to enter your own private channel that is hidden and invite other users to that channel. Would it be possible to have a similar feature where instead of entering a private channel you enter a generic channel that is public and visible? Possibly label "Generic Room" or whatever label you decide to give it? In my case it would be something like "RP Room".

I am curious because if so it is something I would like to dig into attempting. I am utilizing the Ajax Chat as a replacement Roleplaying chat for a Flashchat that has been in use since it's creation in 2009 due to Flash dying

The basic idea would be that on top of every user having their own hidden private channel they would also have access to a public generic channel that they can enter and use it for whatever RP scene they wanted outside of the pre-labeled channels.

Thanks in advance for any replies too this.

Frug

Nov 23, 2020, 4:45:12 PM11/23/20
to AJAX-chat
Depending on what integration version of the chat you're using you can create rooms, it's not just the custom private rooms.

Electron...@Yahoo.com

Nov 23, 2020, 10:32:40 PM11/23/20
to AJAX-chat
Thank you for the response, much appreciated. The situation I have run into is the Flashchat that we were utilizing allowed for users to be able to create their own rooms to roleplay in alongside the rooms already available on the chat. My workaround for this with your AJAX chat, if possible, was going to be giving each user a room available to them similar to the hidden private channel save that it is a public generic channel that they can utilize for whatever setting they want so they aren't limited to the settings in the pre-defined rooms already set up in the channels file. IE, in the room titled Forest the setting is the forest. The City Park, the setting is the a City Park.

A screenshot of the chat we currently use: https://electronictechno.com/Example.jpg

I didn't know how possible it would be to  give each user access to a generically labeled room that wasn't private that they can utilize for whatever setting they want to use it for that works similar to how the private room works save when you enter the room it is public I apologize in advance if I am not explaining this well. It would be in the channel list but only available to you and would only show up in the channel list when you entered the room.

Being able to allow users to create their own rooms(IE, type in a room name such as "My Room" and it appear in the channels list) would be the most ideal scenario for me but I am still very much learning Javascript and how all of this works so that might not even be possible and is at this moment pretty far above my head. HTML I am rather familiar with, Javascript not-so-much.

Frug

Nov 26, 2020, 11:58:58 AM11/26/20
to AJAX-chat
I swear 90% of Ajax Chat users are RPers. That's why I used it initially.

There's no ability for users to create public rooms on the fly. That ability is meant to be left to an admin, else you'd have people spawning rooms left and right. Usually chat is hooked up to a bulletin board, with one room per forum, and then you add a few custom rooms on top of that.

If you're using the standalone chat you have to do it yourself by editing a text file that has a list of rooms in it. Same goes for users. If you want to let other people edit that list, you'll have to write some php to give them that ability.
Message has been deleted

Electron...@Yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2020, 4:29:18 AM12/1/20
to AJAX-chat
Thankyou for the response.

I've edited the channels file and created rooms already. My end goal is to allow for users to create their own rooms. The way it worked with the Flashchat that we were/are using and have been using for the last odd 11 years until it's death date is that users were able to create rooms of their own by typing the name in and hitting a button that triggered the room's creation. If no-one was in the room it would delete itself from the room list after X amount of inactive time had passed.

I am looking to try and replicate this with the AJAX chat so that users have the ability to create their own rooms. My problem is that I am well versed in HTML, not so much other forms of code so trying to wrap my head around the best way to go about it and how close to the Flash Chats method of allowing users to create rooms I am going to be able to get. I am going to put my best effort into figuring out how to make it work as long as it is even possible(Or something close enough to the idea)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Electron...@Yahoo.com

Dec 1, 2020, 4:30:52 AM12/1/20
to AJAX-chat
And yeah, lol. We RP the World of Darkness on the chat and were looking for a replacement since the Flashchat is dying and your Ajax chat is perfect save for a few features that would be nice. Which games did you used to roleplay now that I am curious?

Frug

Dec 2, 2020, 2:43:20 PM12/2/20
to AJAX-chat
What you want to do is possible, but non-trivial. You'd probably need to add a /create command to create the room first. Custom commands are easy but the standalone chat doesn't lend itself to room creation or deletion very well. I'd like to move it to be a database option anyway. Cleaning them up after a set period of time is less difficult because there's some code that runs to clean up idle users after a while.

I also used to play VtM, 2nd ed, but online it was more freeform and there weren't any numbers. I can't say I'm a fan of where White Wolf took their setting later, I heard they rewrote everything and that didn't interest me so I stopped following. The WoD core rules look good though.

Electron...@Yahoo.com

Dec 2, 2020, 3:10:43 PM12/2/20
to AJAX-chat
The new 20th edition rules for the WoD are really nice.

The chat we RP on is tied to a forum. You log in and access a list of characters you have created and can then click to log each one into the chat room separately.

So the AJAX chat is tied to the websites forum and we are utilizing a database. I am not the owner/creator of the RP  chat, just trying to use my limited knowledge in all of this to try and ease some of their workload in replacing the Flashchat with AJAX. Right now the only feature really missing that we would love to have is user room creation.  I set up my own AJAX chat on server space I pay for to test  things out but mine is standalone. I exhausted pretty much all of my coding knowledge testing stuff out on my standalone version, lol:

The one we will be utilizing for the RP chat is tied to a forum:

I appreciate the input and help.

Frug

Dec 4, 2020, 6:04:39 PM12/4/20
to AJAX-chat
I used to run https://www.tharshaddin.com/ back when it was alive.
If you're not going to install the phpbb3 integration version on the server with your forum, you'll have to add all your forum users to chat manually. Assuming you're ok with that, it's probably easier to do that rooms thing you want with the standalone version. I'll see if I can find time to do it for you over the holidays but no promises.

Electron...@Yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2020, 11:51:28 PM12/6/20
to AJAX-chat
No worries if you can’t man. But if you do it would be really appreciated. I can even toss a donation your way for your time if the donation button on the page that led me here still works.

Also, I can direct the actual chat owner to this thread if it would help. He is pretty well versed in all of this and might be able to help out more. He knows more about how his forum is set up and integrated with the AJAX chat then I do.