Is there any interest in a hosted service?

Darth-Apple

May 26, 2020, 11:49:12 PM5/26/20
to AJAX-chat
Back in 2013, I created a hosted service for Ajax Chat with a custom admin panel for settings and full-blown nickname registration (based on Enhanced Ajax Chat https://github.com/123Haynes/enhanced-Ajax-Chat). It had pretty much all of the features of a vanilla installation, with the addition of new commands to manage moderators, nickname registration, and various other things. It ended up hosting hundreds of chat rooms before it unfortunately got shut down by the host. I found out recently that they kept the VPS' data itself, so I was able to get the old hosted service off and re-establish it on a new server.

In any case, a few people have suggested that I start it back up. Personally, I feel as though it's too easy to install it yourself (and doing so gives you more freedom than using a free chat room host does). However, I was surprised to find that nobody has a similar service up and running, and a couple people have mentioned it. Is there any interest in this sort of thing in 2020?

Looking for honest feedback! It was never profitable (not even close), so I'd be doing it more as a side hobby than anything else. It was a rewarding project nonetheless to have it set up, and it made Ajax Chat a little more accessible for those who do not have chatroom-friendly webhosts.