A PhD position is available at the Database and Artificial Intelligence Group at TU Wien, Austria (under the supervision of Dr. Mantas Šimkus).
We invite highly motivated applicants interested both in the theory and practice of
- Description Logics
- Answer Set Programming
- Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
- Reasoning about Actions and Change
- Database Theory
In particular, we are seeking to strengthen our research teams in two foundational research projects “Ontology-mediated Queries for Graph Databases” and “KtoAPP: Compiling Knowledge into Applications” funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
- A degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or other closely related field
- A very strong study record, especially in foundational topics (like discrete mathematics, logic, logic programming, algebra, theory of computation, computational complexity, combinatorics, graph theory, automata theory, data structures and algorithms)
- Very good English writing skills
- Employment at TU Wien for up to 3.5 years, with Dr. Mantas Šimkus as PhD advisor
- Gross salary of approx. 30.754 EUR per year (approx. 22.506 EUR per year after taxes in basic circumstances)
- The candidate student would join the LogiCS doctoral program  which offers top research expertise, and a stimulating and supportive environment
- A research and study environment that is friendly and gender-balanced
- TU Wien is a great place for professional growth (e.g., the Austrian Science Fund offers multiple funding opportunities for young researchers to advance their independent scientific careers).
- Vienna is a beautiful city that offers excellent quality of life 
Application Deadline: July 15, 2020
Please send your application to Dr. Mantas Šimkus (sim...@dbai.tuwien.ac.at)
-A motivation letter, which should make a connection to one of the research projects mentioned above
-Transcripts (academic record) showing high performance in prior studies
-Abstract of the Master thesis
-2 letters of recommendation
QUALITY OF LIFE
Vienna, the city features a vibrant and excellence-driven research landscape, with several leading research institutes (e.g., University of Vienna, IST, AIT, SBA) and universities continuously establishing collaborations in various fields. Finally, Vienna has been consistently ranked by Mercer over the last years the best city for quality of life worldwide.