Interview Project Report

Neil Houghton, AIS Images

Jul 19, 2021, 6:06:56 PM7/19/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com, Neil Houghton
Thanks to the Board for approving my request for audio equipment.  After reaching out via the Newsletter for some volunteers I have not received many responses,  I did however receive one very promising response.

Mike Wisland is a professor at Utah Valley University. He teaches corse on audio engineering and radio production.  He has high end video and audio equipment and software.  He also focuses on Audio Restoration and Forensics. His ideas for how to produce an engaging A/V interview helped me to start looking at new approaches. After a great conversation, we are collaborating on a document which establishes some tips of interview planning, tips and procedure. I am very pleased to have made this connection.

Expect to hear more as we look to set-up interviews and a core group who are interested in this.  If you would like to be included in this group, please contact me!

Neil

AIS Member, Region 2 (NY.ON,QC)
ima...@irises.org
3873 Rush Mendon Road
Mendon, NY 14506
iPhone: (585) 301-8256 (Voice/SMS)
Home:  (585) 624-4225 (Voice only)

Jody Nolin

Jul 20, 2021, 7:18:37 AM7/20/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com, Neil Houghton
Awesome addition to the project.
I will put a plug in the Prez message for summer.

Jody Nolin

@ymail.com

Jul 20, 2021, 11:32:57 AM7/20/21
to ima...@irises.org, ais...@googlegroups.com, ima...@irises.org
Neil,

Did you receive the Niswonger video interview I sent?  Also the Missouri Botanical Garden video of the Alice Goodman Memorial Iris Garden?  I never heard from you on either one.

Your interest in recording hybridizers while they are still alive prompted me to contact Elvan (Al) Roderick to have his daughter do an interview which we ran in the Spring 2021 IRISES Bulletin.  Hope you enjoyed it along with my Supplemental Addendum (5) of 100 Years Bold!  I have spent three years of my life on the supplements.  We will now bind all five into a 474-page book.

Jim Morris

Debra Strauss

Jul 20, 2021, 11:44:16 AM7/20/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com, Ima...@irises.org
Jim they are all awesome! You did a wonderful job! Thank you!

Debbie
Sent from my iPhone

Neil Houghton, AIS Images

Jul 20, 2021, 3:01:57 PM7/20/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com, Neil Houghton
Jiim, Sadly I did not receive these video interviews.  Please resend me a link.  Your work on the supplants is impressive, Jim!  I have enjoyed them very much. I know that you can contribute to this project.

To clarify I would like a group of people to participate in a group to work on this collaboratively later in the summer.

I have seen several interviews which are very nicely done!  This group would not only carry out interviews bur share ideas about make a “professional” looking interview/  Scarlet incorporated this in her edit of Howie’s interviews by using “B-roll” video to supplement the content and break up the straight on interview.  Another tip is to ask the person interviewed to repeat the question as a statement.  The final edited copy will focus on the subject less than the interviewer.  The use of multiple camera will also enrich the final product.  If someone has smartphone they also have an effective video camera, some are better than many of the dedicates video equipment that some of us have.

The equipment has not been purchased yet.  There are two reasons.  I want to engage Mike’s knowledge of audio to evaluate this equipment.  The second reason was that I was planning to purchase this and then to have it shipped directly to someone who could use it.  The Saramonic equipment that I know has produced a “pro”  version now.  I will work with Mike to evaluate and compare as well as to suggest alternatives that are effective, cost effective  and easy to use.

I expect that this groups work will result in training that can be used next Spring and Summer. Because Howie and Scarlet are willing. but will be very busy in Las Cruces, having others trained and capable of recording interviews with as many hynridizers, leaders and experts at the convention is crucial.

Please consider committing to this group and contacting others that would be good candidates.  We need a group that will cooperate, communicate and support one another!  Like you all, I have many commitments.  Thiis is moving to the top of my pile after other projects are complete.

Please send me an email directly to ima...@irises.org to join this group!

So much can come of this to advance the AIS.

Neil

Neil Houghton, AIS Image Coordinator