fancy plicata

sday...@aol.com

Jan 19, 2024, 11:56:37 AMJan 19
to ais...@googlegroups.com
I know what a plicata is, but what is a Fancy Plicata?

Scarlett

Bob Pries

Jan 19, 2024, 12:33:56 PMJan 19
to ais...@googlegroups.com
A long time ago, I asked this question  to the Plicata man, Keith Keppel and he would not provide a definition. I do not think there is an official definition anywhere. General usage seems to be for plicatas that have a lot going on rather than just the simple plicata with blue edged standards and falls. If anyone knows references for a real definition I would love to include them in the Encyclopedia.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 11:56 AM sdayres2 via AISTalk <ais...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I know what a plicata is, but what is a Fancy Plicata?

Scarlett

DIS president

Jan 19, 2024, 1:36:27 PMJan 19
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Pretty sure "fancy plicata" refers to what we now call luminata-plicata, showing both luminata and plicata patterns in the same bloom. Since it was not an official term, however, it was sometimes used in different ways. I believe this was in Keith Keppel's bulletin article on the luminata and related patterns. Don't remember the issue, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

--
Tom Waters
Dwarf Iris Society

Terry Aitken

Jan 19, 2024, 2:47:16 PMJan 19
to ais...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I’m not sure. I think is happens when you have different colors on the standards than in the falls.

Mr. Keppel is a master of plicata patterns.

You name it he has done it. It is wonderful!

Terry Aitken